Sublime Forum

Include package control as default?

The main problems are:

1. Package control has to load ssl library in order to work properly, this part could be done by ST during installation
  2. Loading of modules installed in that way takes place after ST is loaded, sometimes it can take up to 10s to load them all
  3. It still has to be installed manually, and this can crash for variety of reasons i.e proxy settings, etc.

[Edit]
Actually I wasn’t looking to Blog section for a while and I just found that wbond joined HQ :slight_smile: So maybe some official statement @wbond ?

7 Likes

With wbond joining the dev team, will Package Control come with Sublime Text 3?

bump any thoughts about that ?

0 Likes

I think this would be fantastic. I wonder how many new ST users are unaware of PC. Even then, there’s a lot of friction in getting it setup—google the site, copy some scary-looking code, learn the keyboard command to open the console, and run some unfamiliar code hoping for the best.

Having it built-in with a simple onboarding/welcome screen during the first ST launch that shows you the possibilities of PC would be a huge benefit to the user.

0 Likes

And this would allow easily to update the default package without a new release of Sublime, since default package are now on a github repo.

0 Likes

Not with the way the packages are hosted currently though.

I think not using package control for the default packages is better, at least for the moment. Releases are frequent enough (at this time) anyway.

0 Likes

“At this time” ! Like in Mars-May 2015, but we don’t know how long it’s gonna last :smiley:

Since the community is now responsible of maintening the default Packages it would be nice if the community was responsible for releasing them too.

And if you look at the Javascript syntax, each build delivers new bug fixed in a few hour by Wbond and released days later. And a lot of people are still avoiding build 3103 because they don’t have access to the latest version of JavaScript syntax because they are’nt registered user.

0 Likes

I agree with @gwenzek, @Clams that with default Packages hosted on Github there is a shift towards community supported software. Default packages could then be just pushed to new users like normal package update (currently only windows ST has option to reinstall itself, linux users have to download deb/rpm and install manually) if needed.

You can always opt-out of auto updates with ‘auto_upgrade_ignore’. It will be then similar to Vintage plugin (which is disabled by default)

1 Like

Everywhere I see good plugin, install instruction are first, install package control. Would definitely be better to have it by default, and I guess it would help beginners.

1 Like

1 Like