Sublime Forum

Ignore_changed not respected

I am mounting a remote server via Mountain Duck, then editing files in that mounted directory with ST3. Every once in a while I get a pop up saying “[filename] has changed on disk. Do you want to reload it?”.

The file has not changed on disk, so I don’t want to reload - ever. I have my user settings looking like this:

{
	"color_scheme": "Packages/User/SublimeLinter/Monokai Extended (SL).tmTheme",
        "default_line_ending":"unix",
	"detect_indentation": false,
	"draw_minimap_border": true,
	"font_face": "Jetbrains Mono",
	"font_size": 9,
	"ignore_changed": true,
	"ignore_inodes": true,
	"ignored_packages":
	[
		"Markdown",
		"SublimeLinter-csslint",
		"Vintage"
	],
	"scroll_past_end": true,
	"tab_size": 4,
	"theme": "Flatland Dark.sublime-theme",
	"translate_tabs_to_spaces": true,
	"trim_trailing_white_space_on_save": true
}

So as you can see, both ignore_changed and ignore_inodes are set. I know this file is being used, because if I change font_size and save, the font changes immediately.

How can I stop that popup?

0 Likes

Those two settings seems to be for ST 2…

0 Likes

I saw some documentation here: https://www.sublimetext.com/docs/file-type-preferences. Nowhere on that page does it say it’s just for ST2 - but when I click “Download” it goes to the download page for ST2. So it would appear you’re right. Some of those settings do still work in ST3 though, which is probably what led me astray. So thanks for clarifying that.

Is there an equivalent documentation page for ST3? Or anything that says what you can put in your settings file for ST3?

0 Likes

The Sublime Text 3 docs can be found here: https://www.sublimetext.com/docs/3/. For specifically a list of settings, the place those are documented is in the default settings file. If you open settings in Sublime Text on the left column is the default value and documentation for each setting.

0 Likes

Thanks for pointing that out. I didn’t see anything relevant - am I S.O.L?

0 Likes

Do the settings reload_file_on_change and always_prompt_for_file_reload not do what you want?

0 Likes

always_prompt_for_file_reload is set to false in the config - so I’m guessing that isn’t what I want.

I don’t see reload_file_on_change anywhere in my config file, or the official or unofficial ST3 docs, but I’d be happy to simply be blind. Could you point me to some documentation about that setting?

0 Likes

Sorry for the confusion, reload_file_on_change seems to be an addition in Sublime Text 4 (not publicly released yet). There isn’t an equivalent in ST3, unfortunately. If you have a license key you can download the latest ST4 builds off our discord server.

0 Likes

Ah, thanks. Can ST3 & 4 be installed concurrently?

0 Likes

They indeed can. By default they’ll share the same Data directory, so installing and running the new build will take on the packages and settings that you’re currently using, but you can set them up to use separate configurations if you want.

Session files (the information that allows Sublime to come back to the state it was last in when you start it) have some extra features now that aren’t in ST3. So, when you restart ST3 after having run the new build, you need to manually focus a file in all of the editor panes to get things to display correctly (this description might not make sense now, but it will if it happens to you).

0 Likes

Thanks.

Using and disabling reload_file_on_change did fix my problem.

0 Likes