Sublime Forum

Idea: SALE!

Hey… just an idea… if you had a nice little sale for Sublime Text X, I think perhaps a bunch of people who use the unregistered version would jump on board :smile: I don’t use ST as a corner-stone of my day, or else I’d have bought it, but I’d love to get a registered version however 60$ for a text editor is a little steep for someone with thin pockets like me. If you had a sale (30$, I’m so in) I think that perhaps it’d get a nice influx of registered users :smile:

I know I know, this is cheap/I should save up/stop being a mooch… but hey… it never hurts to ask :smile: Either way, thanks for the righteous work when it comes to text editors.

1 Like

I’m not sure a sale is needed because you can already just use it with a nag screen.

Joshua

0 Likes

[quote=“jhawk28”]I’m not sure a sale is needed because you can already just use it with a nag screen.

Joshua[/quote]

True, but there is some point where the nag-screen users (hello!) would purchase the application a certain cost. If say 40% of nag screen users can be converted at some price, then that’s more money than none at all :smile: Even if its a say… 24 hour flash sale :smile:

0 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, Sublime’s trial version is fully functional, so you’re getting a discount from the moment you start using it without buying a license, which you should do at some point. It can only benefit the product and reduce the need for frequent renewals.

0 Likes

I like this idea.
This gives people ( that can’t afford the regular price ) a change to purchase and still help support the software and the developer.
Its good to support the developer. He works hard to bring this product to us.

0 Likes

Blackfriday would be nice.

0 Likes

Talk about thread revival!

I’d be more interested in a discount/offer for sublime-merge. An offer for lifetime updates would tempt me in. I don’t like the 3 year rule, it puts me off.

0 Likes

Same for me, it’s the only thing preventing me from buying it.

0 Likes

I understand where everyone is coming from in this thread (I am myself using an unregistered version also … but I’m a poor PhD student, so make of that what you will).

However, it does worry me a little that the conversation surrounding the licensing situation is not more broad and self aware.

I think there’s something to be said for supporting a small and independent software company if you like/use their product (and don’t want them to be owned by MicroGoogleBook. I’d like to hear more in the discussion about what makes sense for such support rather than “if it was just $10 less I’d totally pay it”.

By the same token, I wonder if it’d be better if there was a more inclusive and informative approach from Sublime HQ on what does make sense for them, and what level of certainty there is around support and development going into the future. Obviously, demanding that they reveal profits and salaries and the like is unreasonable. But, maybe some transparency around how many people need to register for them to keep going for the next 3 years etc, would be helpful for the discussion. Maybe feeling like we’re not just buying a license but buying into a community would be nice.

Either way, I do enjoy seeing a small Australian company being on the public stage so much in tech … I figure it’s a good thing.

3 Likes

I wrote a script to defeat the nag screen. I also using a custom bit of settings to get rid of the updates nag screen.

I would buy it, but I think it’s too expensive for what it is. I mean Windows is less expensive from an authorized reseller ( legal reseller supported by Microsoft.com, not an illegal key place ).

If it was less, I’d be on board because I do like it.

There are other options for free ( Atom slow, VS Code slow, Notepad++ if you like memory leaks and the software locking up for minutes every time you search in files )

0 Likes

The price is now up to $80!!! The devs have been very firm on their stance, only price hikes are entertained and never a sale. At this rate, I might need to ask Acecool for a copy of his script soon.

0 Likes