Sublime Forum

I updated Sublime and now won't let me do anything without a license. The free evaluation is over now?

I updated Sublime and now won’t let me do anything without a license. The free evaluation is over now?

1 Like

The free evaluation period only applies to the latest stable build, which is build 3143. Development builds are reserved for licensed users only, so if you start them without a license in place the only thing you can do is enter a license.

0 Likes

I always used the free version, and it always updated itself and remained being the free stable version.
This morning it prompted to update to a newer version and when it did, it was this version that doesn’t let me do anything without a license, so I guess it is a dev build.
But why would a stable build prompt and update to a dev build?

1 Like

What platform are you on, and which version did you install?

0 Likes

Hi there. Same problem - build 3163 for MacOS.

0 Likes

That is a dev build. Dev builds require a license. If you don’t have a license you can evaluate build 3143 via https://www.sublimetext.com/3.

0 Likes

I see, what’s strange is that a stable build prompt you to upgrade to a dev build, which is what happened to me.
Couldn’t say now, because I uninstalled it and got the stable version again and it’s working fine.
But I used it yesterday, monday for the first time in the weekend, so up to friday it didn’t prompt me to update, and yesterday it did, so something happened on that timeframe that triggered the dev version to be downloaded by Sublime.
Thanks!

1 Like

I see, but below you can see comment of Petruza about strange situation with updating of stable build to dev.
So I have SAME situation ) My STABLE version was updated to DEV (for me it also strange).
And now I just afraid to remove my current version and install build from your link because my few texts can be dissapear.

0 Likes

Nothing to be afraid of, just back up your texts.

0 Likes

even the website is bugged, showing dev builds on the non-dev build page, probably related to the auto-updater updating to a dev build when it shouldn’t

0 Likes

No, we manually add the dev builds to the stable page because some users don’t check the dev builds and think that Sublime Text development has stopped…

1 Like

Sorry, I was wrong.
I now remember I had manually downloaded the Dev build because I wanted to use font ligatures which are not supported yet on stable.

0 Likes