Sublime Forum

HTML-ASP.sublime-syntax - error loading syntax file [Answered]

Just got this error today - all html/asp files have no highlighting now.

Error loading syntax file “Packages/ASP/HTML-ASP.sublime-syntax”: Apparent recursion within a with_prototype action: 25000 context sanity limit hit

Will Bond suggests:

Most likely you have a custom HTML or ASP syntax file that is causing recursion. Look in Packages/ for files named:

Packages/HTML/HTML.sublime-syntax
Packages/HTML/HTML.tmLanguage
Packages/ASP/ASP.sublime-syntax
Packages/ASP/ASP.tmLanguage
If you find any, try moving them out of the Packages folder. That should help.

Alternatively you can try using the Sublime Text Console to run the following Python code, which can detect files places in other folders:

sublime.find_resources(‘HTML.sublime-syntax’)
sublime.find_resources(‘HTML.tmLanguage’)
sublime.find_resources(‘ASP.sublime-syntax’)
sublime.find_resources(‘ASP.tmLanguage’)

I am able to see a “Packages” folder here:
C:\Program Files\Sublime Text 3\Packages
Inside there are lots of files with extension “sublime-package” - and I am able to open them as folders using 7-Zip to observe the contained files, one of which is the “ASP.sublime-syntax” file.

Can someone please help me with the method of deleting a file inside the “sublime-package” file?

0 Likes

You don’t want to touch the files in C:\Program Files\Sublime Text 3\Packages.

User override exist in the user’s Data folder. You can find this by going to the Preferences > Browse Packages… menu entry. That is most likely where the issue is coming from.

0 Likes

I see the following files in there, which have no /HTML or /ASP folders, and there’s other folders inside the /User folder - but still not what I am looking for. That’s why I thought it was the one inside the C Program Files - but I’m even more confused now :slightly_smiling:

0 Likes

0 Likes

What was the output of the calls to sublime.find_resources()?

0 Likes

Just tried it and it is this:
>>> sublime.find_resources('HTML.sublime-syntax')
['Packages/HTML/HTML.sublime-syntax']
>>> sublime.find_resources('HTML.tmLanguage')
[]
>>> sublime.find_resources('ASP.sublime-syntax')
['Packages/ASP/ASP.sublime-syntax']
>>> sublime.find_resources('ASP.tmLanguage')
[]

So it says there are those files? Why can I not see them in my folder?

0 Likes

Hmm, so my hunch as to what was causing the recursion was incorrect.

If you go to Preferences > Package Settings > Package Control > Settings – User you should see a list of installed_packages. What is listed there?

0 Likes

This is my Settings - User one:

{ "bootstrapped": true, "in_process_packages": [ ], "installed_packages": [ "AutoFileName", "AutoHotkey", "CSS3", "Emmet", "Emmet Css Snippets", "Gutter Color", "HTML (C#)", "HTML Boilerplate", "HTML5", "Package Control", "Razor" ] }

0 Likes

Yeah, I would try disabling those HTML packages. The HTML5 one should be superseded by any recent build of Sublime Text 3. Just on a hunch, I think HTML C# is likely the culprit of your recursion.

0 Likes

Do I need to do anything else besides going to Package Control > Disable Package and clicking the suspects
“HTML (C#)”, “HTML Boilerplate”, “HTML5” ?
I did it and restarted my Sublime Text 3, but it’s happening still.
I also disabled the Razor one for good measure.

0 Likes

No, that should do it. Probably time to try and disable some of the other packages also.

0 Likes

Praise! It is fixed!
The culprit turned out to be this package called "CSS3"
When it was disabled, the HTML ASP highlighting came back to life and all which seemed lost in chaos has returned to its normal state! This crisis has been narrowly averted.
Thank you for your help, Mr. Bond. I also learned all this new package stuff - good to know!

1 Like

Did you read all the installation warnings for the CSS3 package? It probably had a conflict with Emmet CSS.

0 Likes

The problem is because there is a conflict with the CSS3 plug-in, and it is restored immediately after disabling.

0 Likes

卸载CSS3这个模块就行,有可能还要卸载emmet,pyv8这两个

0 Likes