Sublime Forum

How to use Visual Studio Code as editor?

I’ve been trying to use Visual Studio Code as an editor for Sublime Merge. The syntax to open a file at a specific line for vscode would be:

/usr/local/bin/code --goto /path/to/file:5:1

Since, for unknown reason, Sublime Merge hide the editor argument format on macOS, I’ve tried to add it directly to Preferences.sublime-setting like so:

"editor_argument_format": "--goto \"${file}:${line}:${col}\"",
"editor_path": "/usr/local/bin/code",

However when I try to edit a file, it simply does nothing with no error message. Any idea how to get it working?

2 Likes

Try the below ?

“editor_argument_format": "-g ${file}:${line}:${col}"

1 Like

I’m using:

"editor_path": "/usr/bin/code",
	"editor_argument_format": "--goto ${file}:${line}:${col}",
2 Likes

for Mac M1:

“editor_path”: “/usr/local/bin/code”,
“editor_argument_format”: “-g ${file}:${line}:${col}”,

0 Likes

Does anyone know how to do the same thing for Windows?
There is a binary file C:\VSCode\bin\code in the VSCode folder.
But it runs, works and takes parameters only through the console.

0 Likes

Did you try the above, replacing the path to the code executable with the windows specific one?

0 Likes

Of course. But it doesn’t work. Even added extension to file code => code.exe and selected it in Sublime, it doesn’t work.
Tried to run the console with the path to the code file with the command
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c C:\VSCode\bin\code
doesn’t work either.

0 Likes

The items in the bin directory are scripts; if you’re going to use one of those you should point it at the code.cmd instead of code, since code is a bash script. The code.exe file is inside of the install folder but not in bin, if you want to point it at that. Both worked for me in a simple test (right clicking, choosing open in editor from the menu).

0 Likes

The code file bin folder is a bash script and thus probably not executed in case SM directly invokes it as executable or bash is not available.

I have VSCodium only, but all I need to do to is to point SM to the executable in installation directory.

grafik

0 Likes

The way you have on the screen - it works, but only once. If I reopen Sublime Merge, it works again. Maybe it’s waiting for VSCode to close the file, but the --wait parameter I didn’t specify.
I have Portable VSCode

Upd:
Yep! Works only once, before Sublime Merge is rebooted. Tried setting Editor Wait Args => -r or --locale en-US to overwrite Sublime Merge’s built-in --wait, did not help.

Upd:
@OdatNurd Maybe there is some parameter for Editor Wait Args so that Sublime Merge doesn’t wait for the editor to close? After all, I don’t commit code, so I don’t have to wait for the editor to close.
Thanks

0 Likes

Yep, seems to wait for it. As soon as I close VSCodium, the next file is opened.

Using c:\Program Files\VSCodium\bin\codium.cmd works for me, even though it’s rather slow.

0 Likes

Hi,
I tried every solution above and nothing works for me. I am using M1 MAC Monterey, can some one share his settings ?
This is what i tried
This is what i tried

1 Like

Hi, this is what I have and it works for me:

0 Likes

Mates, how to go back from VSCode into beloved smerge?

I sometimes need to live in VSCode, but missing Sublime Merge friendly integration.

In Sublime Text, I just click the bottom status line with repo name & diffs counter as a link, and voila - I am in Sublime Merge. How to make something like that + hotkey in VSCode to quickly jump to commit/check current file & repo in SMerge?

0 Likes

ah, right:

though now to decide which is better. Hick. :man_shrugging:

UPDATE: self-answer: stopped with Giovanni Derks’ one:
https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=giovdk21.vscode-sublime-merge

0 Likes

For Mac users, pay attention to the Editor Path. I was using the […] to select the path to VSCode under Applications. This seemed to work, and invoked and focuses on VSCode…but ignores the file/line/col args.

Typing in /usr/local/bin/code (as recommended throughout this thread) worked like a charm.

0 Likes