Sublime Forum

How to show two panels at same time? or alternative ideas

Hi,

I use ST3 Build 3176 and I am adding a feature to this LSP plugin and I want a experience similar to show_quick_panel. But instead:

1. as the user is typing
  2. I need to send a request to server and update the list
  3. then user selects a element of the list which opens a file a the right position.

Basically I don’t want sublime to filter the list given the query string (filtering is done in the server) and I want the list dynamic.

The feature is mostly implemented but I have issues with the user experience:

• I couldn’t use show_quick_panel because the list is dynamic
  • I tried TextInputHandler in combination with ListInputHandler, but I am not happy with the result as TextInputHandler doesn’t have an on_change method. So user have to press enter then a new list will appear, then as you type sublime is filtering :confused:

Code, Demo

• I tried show_input_panel which has on_change in combination with show_quick_panel but then as soon as the user types the quick panel steals the focus.
  • I tried show_input_panel to capture input and create_output_panel to show results then as soon as I show the second panel the first one disappears.

Code, Demo

So my questions:

1. is it possible to show two panels at the same time? Something similar to the sublime console: instead of showing logs I would show results while user is typing
  2. Does anybody have alternative idea on how to implement such a feature with a better user experience? Or a plugin having similar behavior ?

Thanks

0 Likes

the XPath plugin does something similar

0 Likes