Sublime Forum

How to search in all opened document (including unsaved buffer) in all windows?

Hi!

// I would say that could be seen as a “feature request” and/or “plugin development” help request

I always come back searching for a solution for this. Each time I find some very old post to conclude that we probably can only search all tab in only one windows.

(example: How do I search all open documents?)

I may not be your typical user, but I use sublime as a notepad replacer and I probably have 100 sublime windows, with 2 to 10 tabs each probably opened always, with lot of unsaved buffers.

If I want to search in all opened windows trying to locate a notes, it is a mess (yeah, I can and will consider to organise differently, but that is not the point! Even if I had only 10-20 windows opened, I would still want that kind of functionality to search in all windows/tabs, it just make sense IMHO).

I guess it should be easy to have a search all windows functionality. For some reason the search in files only apply to one window.

So, is there an already known solution? Plugin?

For those who know the plugin architecture, if I want to create my own plugin about it, would it be easy to do it?

I am surprised that this was never done, not done at core, etc. but it seems the case, so at some point I guess someone has to do it.

2 Likes

I use sublime as a notepad replacer and I probably have 100 sublime windows, with 2 to 10 tabs each probably opened always, with lot of unsaved buffers.

+1! I just checked and I “only” have 59 windows open. Roughly half of those refer to files, the rest are unsaved notes (of various kinds). Many are easy to find but when not, manually searching through dozens of windows is not an ideal solution.

0 Likes

Yeah, I keep wanting to do this too.

Search across all tabs and all WINDOWS — everything that’s open.

0 Likes