Sublime Forum

How to Run Terminal in Sublime Text Editor Window

I’d really love to have an OSX bash session running in one of my windows. I’m developing a RubyMotion app and it would be great not to have to cmd+tab over to iTerm, run my tests, memorize what went wrong, then try to puzzle that against the code. I know by arranging my windows cleverly I can see both iTerm and Sublime, but it’s not always convenient just to have Sublime and iTerm in my working set, so z-order might put Mail or iCal or something else in between. By having the bash session in a window, I can “pin” it to the window I’m using to write code and make my test results relevant to the code.

I’ve looked at Terminal and MacTerminal and they appear to open a new instance of Terminal in a separate window. Is there anything that starts a bash session and pipes stdio through a window in Sublime?

Thanks.

0 Likes

This may help you out: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2964&hilit=repl ?

0 Likes

Thanks for the pointer. Unfortunately, this appears only to implement a Python REPL, which I possibly could hack to run a Ruby REPL but what I really want is a full-fledged bash session.

0 Likes

Maybe you glanced over the first post in the thread reffered?
Im glad to inform you SublimeREPL supports much more than Python REPL.
From the author:

Download it from Package Control and be amazed.
More info here https://github.com/wuub/SublimeREPL

0 Likes

Another option would be to add Shell Turtlestein through package control – once the package is added, the $PATH can be adjusted to whatever suits the user’s needs – i.e., Shell Turtlestein.sublime-settings file:

{ // Override these in your own // `Packages/User/Shell Turtlestein.sublime-settings` file. "surround_cmd": "", ""], "exec_args": {"path": "/usr/texbin:/usr/local/bin:$PATH"}, "cmd_settings": ], "input_widget": { // overridden for silly non-unixy OSes "syntax": "Packages/ShellScript/Shell-Unix-Generic.tmLanguage" } }

0 Likes

Not going to explain why my approach works just go to the https://packagecontrol.io/packages/Terminus page and look for odatnurd links.
Your welcome.

0 Likes