Sublime Forum

How to resolve unmerged file

I just pulled in another developers commit.

Before doing so I stashed my working directory changes, then pulled and merged. Then I hit “apply stash”.

One of the files is marked as merge conflict. In the contents view, it is under a separate list entitled “Unmerged files”.

The unmerged file presents the option of “resolve” and “stage”, where as the other files present the options of “discard” and “stage”.

When hit the “resolve” button, I am presented with a three way merge tool. I then proceed to resolve the merge, and save.

But nothing changes! The files is still listed as an “unmerged file”, it is still listing the “resolve” button, and when I hit resolve, the changes I previously made to resolve the issue are still present!!! Like nothing has happened. I repeatedly try saving my merge resolution, but everytime I hit resolve, my previous resolution is removed!

0 Likes

I was confused by this myself. Once you’ve gone through the resolve process, click “Stage.”

0 Likes

The merge tool does only save the “resolved” file to disk. You need to manually stage the file then. This is meant to prevent destructive operations, because you can restart resolving conflicts if you find something might have been going wrong. After staging this is no longer possible.

But you are right, the behavior is not very obvious. I was as confused as you when I was in that situation the very first time.

1 Like

I cant do it either :frowning:

0 Likes