Sublime Forum

How to open my file editing window?

Hi,

Sublime Text 3, Windows 10.

I was editing files and had a number of tabs open.

I wanted to check the preferences.

I selected Preferences | Settings - Syntax Specific .

This opened a separate window with 2 panes.

I closed the window containing the files I was editing.

I then closed the window with the 2 panes.

Now when I open Sublime the window with the 2 panes open (although no contents are shown).

When I select File | Open Recent, I see the files I have previously deliberately closed, and none of the files I had open before I had this issue, so it makes me think I should be able to return to the window I had open where I was editing my files.

My question is:
How do I open the window which contains the files I was editing, instead of the window with 2 panes?

0 Likes

The short answer is that if you were using a project you can re-open the project via Project > Open Project from the menu, but if you just had an ad-hoc window open, then I think the only recourse is to manually find and re-open the files that you had open the last time.

More specifically, when hot_exit is turned on (which by default it is), when you quit Sublime it saves the state of all of the current windows into a session file to restore the next time you start it. Closing the last window quits Sublime, so by closing your main window first and the preferences window last, what was saved in the session file was the only remaining window (preferences window).

From some testing on a fresh install, files are only added to the list of recent files when you explicitly close them, and closing the window doesn’t add them to the list.

1 Like

Thank you for your response.

Hot-exit was previously working successfully for me.

I don’t why/how the files no longer show when I open Sublime.
(I don’t think I inadvertently clicked : Files | Close All | files ).

I have removed the second pane with option : View | Layout | Single .

I can now open files as before.

Hot-exit is working again, although only showing the files I have opened since I had my issue.

I will re-open the files I require, and I can continue.

Thank you for your help.

1 Like

I’m not a huge fan of that issue - it’s an issue which exists in a lot of MDI applications / browsers… There should honestly be the X to close the app and another to close only the window so if you accidentally click the X you close the app instead of the important window…

This has happened me many times - I do have projects saved but they aren’t always updated with the files I recently added or removed…

0 Likes