Sublime Forum

How to install themes?

Just installed and configured ST 3.3.2 with some simple settings, and also downloaded some themes from github. They are ayu-master, and sublime-boxy-theme-master. I found no documentation with packages how and where to install them. Info on this is much appreciated.

0 Likes

I would recommend install Package Control and manage plugins from it unless you know what you are doing.

0 Likes

@jfcherng, Much thanks for your direction and my apologies for the late reply. Copied the two zipped theme packages to /home/ineuw/.config/sublime-text-3/Installed Packages, and unzipped them. But from here on, I am lost.

ineuw@LM193DT:~/.config/sublime-text-3/Installed Packages$ ls -la
total 4276
drwx------  4 ineuw ineuw    4096 May 31 12:14  .
drwx------  7 ineuw ineuw    4096 May 31 12:07  ..
-rwxrwxr-x  1 ineuw ineuw    2255 May 31 12:03  00-package_control.py
-rw-rw-r--  1 ineuw ineuw    2694 May 31 12:14  0_package_control_loader.sublime-package
drwx------  8 ineuw ineuw    4096 May 31 12:13  ayu-master
-rw-rw-r--  1 ineuw ineuw 1717252 May 31 09:01  ayu-master.zip
-rw-rw-r--  1 ineuw ineuw     175 May 31 12:03  dependency-metadata.json
-rw-rw-r--  1 ineuw ineuw  286331 May 31 12:03 'Package Control.sublime-package'
drwx------ 12 ineuw ineuw    4096 May 31 12:13  sublime-boxy-theme-master
-rw-rw-r--  1 ineuw ineuw 2339837 May 31 12:09  sublime-boxy-theme-master.zip
ineuw@LM193DT:~/.config/sublime-text-3/Installed Packages$
0 Likes

Package Control is a package manager, which can be used to install packages easily.

1. Remove the dependency-metadata.json and the manually placed packages from Installed Packages.
  2. From within ST, open the Command Palette via ctrl+shift+p and run Package Control: Install Package
  3. After a short while it displays all available packages. Type “ayu” to find the AYU package, select it and hit enter. AYU gets installed for you automatically.

Installed Packages is meant for zipped packages (e.g.: <Name>.sublime-package).

If you want to “install” packages manually, the best way is to git clone a repo to:

~/.config/sublime-text-3/Packages

Boxy Theme is quite outdated and no longer maintained. It’s successor DA UI was removed by the author.

You could try to install Theme - DAneo instead, which was created from the remaining sources of DA UI and still support all recent features of Sublime Text.

It can be configured/tweaked via various Preferences.

I’d also recommend installing PackageDev as it provides much helpers for editing sublime-settings, etc. files.

2 Likes

@deathaxe, @jfcherng, My thanks to you both for introducing me to ST’s mysterious ways. It’s working now and installed ‘ayu’.

1 Like