Sublime Forum

How to install Sublime Text via package manager on Linux?

Build 3132 adds linux repositories for installing Sublime Text via package manager. In the documentation, it is described how to switch between the regular and dev channels. But how does one actually install Sublime Text via package manager? For example, how am I installing Sublime on Ubuntu via apt?

This is described on that documentation page and I don’t see it being described elsewhere.

0 Likes

Which distro are you using?

0 Likes

@wbond I’m using Ubuntu and intend to install Sublime via apt.

0 Likes

Wait a second. I just started my copy of Sublime Text and it showed me the changelog. It updated to the latest version.

Am I correct in assuming that by setting the channel as per the documentation, my copy of Sublime Text is now capable of self-updating?

0 Likes

Once you have installed the repo, you’ll update your apt package list and then install sublime-text:

apt-get update
apt-get install sublime-text

And yes, depending on your settings, it is entirely possible your machine applied the upgrade automatically, or as part of a group of updates.

0 Likes

I see. The missing bit for me was the package name, sublime-text. That should be part of the documentation somewhere. It should be mentioned on the download page, even.

Other than this, I see sublime-text/apt/dev,now 3133 amd64 [installed] when running apt list | grep sublime. So when I installed the Sublime Text deb package that was previously available on the downloads page with dpkg, this is what sudo apt upgrade updated. Good to know.

Thank you for your help.

P.S. The visual presentation of code in the forums lacks a good enough distinction from regular text. I see the monospaced font, but it’s a bit hard to see when a piece of inline code starts and when it ends.

0 Likes

I’ve added instructions to the repository docs showing the install command, which includes the package name. Thanks!

4 Likes

On Raspbian, I am unable to install Sublime Text via package manager with the following error:

$ sudo apt install sublime-text
Reading package lists... Done
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package sublime-text

I followed the instruction steps in the documentation (installing GPG key, selecting stable channel).

0 Likes

There is no arm build of Sublime Text.

0 Likes

Just ran into the same issue trying to install on my Pi 4.
An ARM build would be so great (and practical with this new Pi being a viable webdev machine).

0 Likes