Sublime Forum

How to enable column numbers for Cobol coding?

Hi guys, I use Sublime a lot for C, C++, PHP, Python and other languages but recently a lot of folks are hitting me up to pull out Cobol source and build migration tools, REST api’s etc. There are a few entries in this forum about Cobol, but not seeing any Syntax highlighting for it, and the bigger issue is that Cobol is column dependent… ie column 7 indicates the comment, 8 is where the code starts. Editors like ISPF have line and column numbering… not finding it in Sublime, anyone know how to turn these features on so that Sublime can actually be useful for Cobol?

0 Likes

You could try adding rulers to your view. Install the QuickRulers package on package control and run its command (should be documented in the Readme). Then insert 8 to have a ruler at the column 8.

Ideally the syntax definition would handle this too, but I’m unsure whether there is one judging from your comments.

2 Likes

There is a COBOL syntax package here.

0 Likes

I had to do a bit of research to get the rulers configured but the install was pretty simple. Seems to do what I need, great suggestion, Thanks!!!

0 Likes