Sublime Forum

How to disable DirectDraw?

What is the correct key to disable DirectDraw in Sublime Text 3 on Windows?
I like to have the same rendering behavior that there is in ST2… now in ST3 is turned on by default and the text rendering is noticeably worse than ST2 (with MacType)

I tried:

“font_options”:

"subpixel_antialias" // or "gray_antialias" or "no_antialias"
]

but nothing change… I’m using the last public build.

0 Likes

From ST3 default settings:

// Valid options are "no_bold", "no_italic", "no_antialias", "gray_antialias", // "subpixel_antialias", "no_round" (OS X only), "GDI" (Windows only) and // "directwrite" (Windows only) "font_options": ],

not shure, but what about GDI?

0 Likes

thanks, yes GDI seems the right option, now I’ve tried it but the font rendering visually remains the same as with the other settings :frowning:
and the fonts are more aliased than with ST2 (where GDI is automatically overriden by MacType).
Can it be some issue related also to the new high-dpi support introduced with ST3 on Windows?

0 Likes

Try using “gdi” lower case, that should fix it.

0 Likes

perfect! thanks hong, in lower case it works!

unfortunately now is appeared another ‘minor’ issue with font-size handling is ST3, when I switch from “font_size”: 11 (too big) to “font_size”: 10 (too small) the font size is halved, in ST2 instead (that has no high-dpi support), fonts were scaled properly on my pc, but there I used “font_size”: 14.
Now by comparing ST3 and ST2 on my display, I see that a font-size of 10 in ST3 is equal to font-size 13 in ST2, and a size of 11 in ST3 is equal to font-size 16 in ST2.
So, as a workaround, is there some way to disable high-dpi support in ST3?
(in ST2 I made a fully tweaked theme with the correct font-size for the whole GUI for my screen, so I don’t need high-dpi support if it has some downsides)

0 Likes

ok, I just noticed that “font-size”:10.5 in ST3 is equal to “font-size”:14 in ST2. It does not have a perfect meaning but the problem may be considered solved :smile:

0 Likes