Sublime Forum

How to change theme coloring for Svelte components

Hey everyone,

I am using Svelte web framework, where it is the standard to name Svelte components with an uppercase first letter in the HTML tag.

I want to distinguish HTML5 tags and Svelte tags using color.

I have created the following (svelte).sublime-syntax file.

name: MySvelte
file_extensions:

• svelte
    scope: text.html.svelte
    contexts:
    main:
    • match: ‘<[A-Z][a-z0-9]*(?=[\s/>])’
      scope: text.html.svelte uppercase-tag-open
    • match: ‘</[A-Z][a-z0-9]*’
      scope: text.html.svelte uppercase-tag-close
    • include: scope:text.html.basic

and added a ./User/darkula.sublime-color-scheme file.

{
“variables”: {},
“globals”: {},
“rules”: [
{
“scope”: “text.html.svelte uppercase-tag-open”,
“foreground”: “#00689c”,
},
{
“scope”: “text.html.svelte uppercase-tag-close”,
“foreground”: “#00689c”,
},
]
}

It works nicely except for 2 issues.

1. in the menu View > Syntax, I now have a “MySvelte” option which is understandable. However, I would like to extend the darkula theme and not create a new “MySvelte” theme. Is that possible?

2. Attribute in Svelte tags have now lost their coloring.

What am I doing wrong?

A bit of ranting.

Just wanted to share a bit of my experience. I’m an old-timer who’s been using NetBeans and then the JetBrains suite for ages. Lately, I’ve been dabbling in newer languages and frameworks, and I really needed a good Language Protocol Server (LPS) setup for a smooth editing experience. I’ve been coding in the V language using CLion for the past year. It was okay, but honestly, I felt like I was missing out on some cool features that folks using VSCode were getting. Just to put it out there, I really can’t stand VSCode.

So last Friday, I decided it was time to shake things up and try out a bunch of different editors and IDEs that work on Linux. I went through a whole bunch - Kate, Atom, Sublime, Zed, Helix, you name it. My mission? Find something that felt as good as what I had with CLion.

Guess what? Sublime Text 4 totally knocked it out of the park! It beat the others, hands down. I’ve only been on it for a weekend, but it’s already solving all my problems.

Just my two cents, but I think it’s time to get that ST4 license. :wink:

0 Likes

Attribute in Svelte tags have now lost their coloring.

That’s caused by the very naive syntax rule (<[A-Z][a-z0-9]*(?=[\s/>])) matching the whole component tag, without addressing attributes.

You’d probably want to try https://packagecontrol.io/packages/Svelte package, which is probably easier than writing your own.

I would like to extend the darkula theme

All <name>.sublime-color-scheme files found in any package are merged. A sublime-color-scheme file in Packages/User should also be merged into old *.tmTheme color schemes, AFAIK. Extending or customizing an existing color scheme is possible.

Some rules of thumb:

1. order of rules doesn’t matter
  2. the most specific pattern matches.

So if your scopes are less specific, they might not be used.

I don’t however see an obvious reason for given color scheme example not working.

Note, you can ctrl+shift+p to display scope of token under cursor. That might help with customizing color schemes for existing syntaxes.

0 Likes