Sublime Forum

How to change sidebar colour?

Hello,

In Sublime Text, when I change color schemes, it changes everything in main area of the editor which is good, however, I seem unable to change sidebar colour. For example, in this screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/75rH4Vg.png I would like to make the sidebar darker (dark with white text) as I prefer dark themes. Does anyone know if this is possible? I am posting this as I have not seen anyone post this exact topic: http://i.imgur.com/ph4ARD0.png

Thanks.

0 Likes

I don’t know exactly, however I do know the Material Theme plugin does change the sidebar parameters. If you grab and extract that package and tinker with it, you might be able to find a way to do that.

1 Like

Recently some additional documentation for themes was added that may also provide some assistance. There’s a specific section on the sidebar as well.

0 Likes

So, I tried Material Theme and all the different colors however it did not change the sidebar color. I looked at the sidebar parameters and yet there did not seem to be one for color. Any other ideas?

0 Likes

Hello. Thank you for that information. I took a look at it, and correct me if I am wrong but I did not see any way to change the background color of the sidebar?

0 Likes

Just to be clear on the terminology, a Color Scheme is for setting the colors used in syntax highlighting and in the editing area in general, while the color of the rest of the UI is done via a Theme. As such you can’t modify the background color of the Sidebar via editing a color scheme file.

I don’t have a lot of first hand experience with the modification of a themes but I think you need to modify the layer0 properties for the sidebar_container at a minimum. Some simple fiddling here on my end managed to make the entire thing jet black, so you probably want to also modify the labels to make the text more visible, for example.

As @remi pointed out, the Material Theme modifies the background color of the sidebar as soon as you activate it (as does the Boxy theme) so either one should set you on the correct path.

Also worth noting that in the latest round of Development builds (3127+, the latest of which at the moment being 3131) there is a built-in theme called Adaptive that does this automatically. You need to have a Sublime License to use the dev builds though (and theoretically it may be unstable in some fashion, but I’ve been using it for production work since it dropped with 0 problems, for what that’s worth).

1 Like

I just tried the Adaptive theme and it worked perfectly plus I love that I can use the Monokai color scheme with it. Thank you so much!

0 Likes

To simply change the sidebar color, a friend found this solution (for Sublime Text 3.0).

First, open Sublime Text.

Then in Preferences > Browse Packages > User, create a new file and call it Default.sublime-theme (be sure that the extension is in .sublime-theme).

Open this file and paste this code inside :

[
{
“class”: “sidebar_container”,
// $base02: #073642
“layer0.tint”: [115, 115, 115],
“layer0.opacity”: 1.0,
“layer0.draw_center”: false,
“layer0.inner_margin”: [0, 0, 1, 0],
“content_margin”: [0, 0, 1, 0]
},
{
“class”: “sidebar_tree”,
“row_padding”: [8, 3],
“indent”: 12,
“indent_offset”: 17,
“indent_top_level”: false,
// $base2: #eee8d5
“layer0.tint”: [39,40,34], // Background color
“layer0.opacity”: 1.0,
“dark_content”: false
},
{
“class”: “sidebar_heading”,
// $base1: #93a1a1
“color”: [204,204,204], // Font color
“font.bold”: true,
// $base3: #fdf6e3
“shadow_color”: [204,204,204],
“shadow_offset”: [0, 1]
},
{
“class”: “sidebar_heading”,
“parents”:
[
{ “class”: “tree_row”, “attributes”: [“selected”] }
],

"shadow_color": [160, 174, 192]
},
{
    "class": "sidebar_label",
    // $base01:    #586e75         
    "color": [204, 204, 204],
    "font.bold": false
    // , "shadow_color": [250, 250, 250], "shadow_offset": [0, 0]
},
{
    "parents": [{"class": "tree_row", "attributes": ["selected"]}],
    // $base01:    #586e75         
    "color": [0, 92, 230]
    // , "shadow_color": [60, 60, 60], "shadow_offset": [0, 1]
},

{
    "parents": [{"class": "tree_row", "attributes": ["expandable"]}],
    "settings": ["bold_folder_labels"],
    "font.bold": true
}

]

Then you can change the sidebar color by changing the RGB values of “Background color”.

Finally save. :wink:

1 Like

Here is SIMPLE way to solve your problem
FlatLand Team
Enjoy

0 Likes