Sublime Forum

How to *actually* replace notepad

This is going to look like other fixes people have come up with, but it isn’t, wait till the end.

I’ve read lots of forum posts on replacing notepad and tried using the sublime launcher, which doesn’t work, and a bunch of other garbage. Forget about all of it.

Here’s how you do it without a launcher and without it going crazy when a filename or path has spaces.

Go to this registry key, if a notepad.exe doesn’t exist create one.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\notepad.exe

Create a new string value named “Debugger” if it already exists just modify it
Set the value as shown below

C:\Program Files\Sublime\sublime_text.exe -z "

Notice the single un-closed quote, that’s the secret.

Hopefully this post will help someone who went on the same snipe hunt I did.

0 Likes

These days I just use Notepad Replacer.

0 Likes

Not sure if this worked in the past but as of ST3, this method won’t work to open files. Double-clicking a text file, for example, will trigger ST3 to run but the file you double-clicked won’t be opened.

Notepad Replacer still works, but puts its launcher *.exe in Program Files and adds itself to Programs, if you prefer that.

Sublime Launcher still works too (not sure why it didn’t for the OP), if you prefer to have the launcher *.exe in the same folder as ST. However, I did notice the scripts don’t work if there are certain symbols in the folder/path ("&", “^”).

0 Likes