Sublime Forum

How do I checkout a remote branch?

I am trying to checkout a remote branch.

The workflow I am used to is Git Extensions. There I would checkout a remote branch. Then set my current branch to the branch I checked out. I am not sure what git operations this git extension operations correspond to.

In Sublime Merge I tried to attempt the same…

I opened the command pallete and ran the Checkout remote branch command, with the supplied name of the remote branch.

Nothing subsequently happened…

In the contents view under branches, it still only lists master as my one branch.

When I then went to pull, it says “You are not currently on a branch…”.

What am I missing here?

0 Likes

Checkout Remote Branch... does exactly what it says in terms of git-checkout: change your working copy to that of the referenced commit/tree. It does not, however, create a local branch tracking the remote branch (set upstream) and then change the working copy to the newly created branch as you’re expecting. You want to use the Create Branch From Remote Branch... command instead.

0 Likes

I tried it srbs but its not working.please tell something else

0 Likes

Same confusing here. It might be a custom command, but why this basic feature is a custom command …

0 Likes

I am using “Create Branch From Remote Branch” I input my remote branch name. seems it assume my branch name have to be exist in local? As long as no drop down list. All command doesn’t work.

0 Likes