Sublime Forum

How can I revert to the old default UI theme?

I’m experimenting with making changes to the new default Adaptive theme, but it’s taking too long to achieve something that isn’t visually distracting; both the light and the dark UI theme options clash with the dark gray syntax theme that I’ve been using for years now and don’t have any desire to change. I may downgrade to the last version rather than try to adjust to the new flat UI. Who says flat is always better? I really, really dislike no longer having horizontal borders between rows in the command palette - the clashing colors I made a start on and can fix on my own with enough time, but the rows no longer being distinct makes the menus much less readable and I have no idea how to fix it - and it is not a sensible use of my time to try to learn a brand new DSL well enough undo these changes.

I didn’t ask for this change. I was absolutely content with the old style and I really don’t care to try something new right now. I just want the old UI back.

2 Likes

Is there a way to revert back to old GUI style?

You can download the build 3126 from here:

https://download.sublimetext.com/Sublime%20Text%20Build%203126.zip

And add: "update_check": false in the Sublime Text preferences to disable the automatic updates

1 Like

Install the Retina Theme through package control. It’s the original theme with higher res icons.

It has a minor bug with the panel button. Add the following to a file called Retina.sublime-theme in your User home for sublime to fix it.

[
    {
        "class": "panel_button_control",
        "layer0.texture": "Theme - Retina/panels.png",
    }
]

Also if you are using windows, add “theme_font_options”: [“gdi”] to your preferences. This will give you identical ui themes to the previous build

4 Likes

This is exactly what I was hoping for. Thank you!

Can I please suggest including this kind of information in release announcements? I really doubt I’m the only user who will feel betrayed by sudden UI changes.

0 Likes

I don’t like the new theme either, and the Retina Theme is so good!

2 Likes

Thank you @Plith, so distracting to get an automatic update that changes the UI around. I fiddled with themes for a while, but to no avail, and was about to try a different editor. You saved me.

2 Likes