Sublime Forum

High processor usage with DirectX renderer

Sometimes, when using the DirectX renderer, sublime text’s processor usage will spike to 80-90% and begin to respond very slowly. After this occurs, any time I interact with sublime text (typing, selecting, interacting with the mini-map, mousing over the tab area, and perhaps other interactions), it will spike again. Sometimes, but not always, restarting sublime text will resolve the problem.

It’s unclear to me what the trigger for this state is: it doesn’t appear to be associated with other programs I’m running, but that’s just from some cursory testing (e.g., kill all my user-bound programs and restart ST, and the problem sometimes remains).

I’m running the 20100119 beta at present, but have seen this going as far back as August.
I’m on XPSP3 with an ATI FireGL V3100 running dual displays. My drivers are up-to-date.

The OpenGL renderer alleviates this problem, but then I am subject to this problem with transparent windows (as well as generalized transparent window weirdness, even when the windows aren’t overlapping).

-pkh

0 Likes

Thanks for the heads up - there’s not much I can do to diagnose it from here (I haven’t seen the same issues), but I’ll keep it in mind.

0 Likes

Some more information:

The processor pegging seems to have something to do with dual display and transparent windows. I’ve observed the following:

1. When a transparent window is open on the same display as the ST window, the problem may occur.
  2. When a transparent window is open on a different display from the ST window, the problem does not seem to occur.
  3. When moving the ST window from a display without a transparent window onto a display with a transparent window, the problem always occurs. Moving either window to the other display resolves the processor pegging.
0 Likes