Sublime Forum

Hide maximized title bar of ST4 in GNOME Shell

Sublime Text 3 used the default GNOME Shell window decorations and I was able to hide the window title bar in maximized mode using a GNOME Shell extension. Sublime Text 4 seems to do its own thing with window decorations and the GNOME Shell extension no longer has any effect. Is there a way to fall back to default window dectorations with ST4? Or else, is there a way to hide the (custom) title bar in maximized mode? I’m willing to write my own ST4 extension for this if somebody can confirm that this is possible.

1 Like

I just registered just to ask for the same thing. It would be great to be able to disable it as it just takes some unnecessary space. I do not need resizing nor dragging the window. It was ok with Sublime Text 3.

0 Likes

Try adding the setting gtk_client_side_window_decorations to your Preferences.sublime-settings and set it to false.

4 Likes

It works after a restart, thanks a lot! In fact, I already tried that setting but I hadn’t considered that ST needs a restart. Now it’s perfect!

0 Likes

My life is better now. Thank you!

0 Likes

It’s worth mentioning that this hot tip works in Sublime Merge as well :clap:

0 Likes

Indeed it does! Behind the scenes, Merge and Text share a common base, so many things that apply to Text also apply to Merge.

0 Likes

Could you specify what is the extension that makes it possible to hide the ST’s title bar in (stock) Gnome?

0 Likes

It’s not an extension but a special setting. Open Preferences -> Settings and then add "gtk_client_side_window_decorations": false, to the Preferences.sublime-settings on the right. Then restart Sublime.

0 Likes

I added this and even restarted Linux but the title bar is still there. I mean the bar with the title and a little cross on the right.

"gtk_client_side_window_decorations": false,
0 Likes

Now I read my original post and know what you mean, sorry for the confusion :smile:

I use the Unite extension to hide the title bar. And this extension only works correctly if you set the Sublime setting to false.

0 Likes

Wonderful, it works. Thank you.

To whom it may concern: when the window’s title bar is removed, you can still move the window around using Super + hold mouse’s left button. Super is usually the “Windows” key, at least on non-Mac keyboards.

0 Likes