Sublime Forum

Hermes: Let Sublime Text 3 talk with Jupyter

I’ve been working on a plugin to let Sublime Text 3 talk with interpreters via Jupyter protocol and here it is.
With Jupyter Notebook process as a driving force, Hermes plugin allows you to execute code in editor and provides autocomplete.

You can install it with Package Control. Run Package Control: Install Package command and search Hermes.
I admit it still needs to be brushed up much and I’d appreciate your feedbacks. The repo is below.

3 Likes

How do I use the Hermes plugin with Jupyter Notebooks?

Great. I have been waiting this for a long time.

I have no issues running R and Python kernels but it seems that the Jupiter Kernel is not working.

[I 03:30:52.772 NotebookApp] Adapting to protocol v5.0 for kernel 0ae58ee0-8518-49c7-a4ea-6491cc09c558
KERNEL EXCEPTION
KeyError: key "username" not found

Stacktrace:
 [1] getindex(::Dict{String,Any}, ::String) at ./dict.jl:474
 [2] msg_pub(::IJulia.Msg, ::String, ::Dict{String,Any}, ::Dict{String,Any}) at /Users/Randy/.julia/v0.6/IJulia/src/msg.jl:23
 [3] execute_request(::ZMQ.Socket, ::IJulia.Msg) at /Users/Randy/.julia/v0.6/IJulia/src/execute_request.jl:128
 [4] eventloop(::ZMQ.Socket) at /Users/Randy/.julia/v0.6/IJulia/src/eventloop.jl:8
 [5] (::IJulia.##9#12)() at ./task.jl:335

This is the line of the error. It seems that IJulia expects username field but it was not sent.

0 Likes

It seems that the output of R notebook is not displayed. The output can only be printed by using the print function of R

0 Likes

@randy3k
Thank you for feedback! I’ve fixed about the problem on using IRkernel. I’ll fix the other soon.

0 Likes

I liked hermes very much … .But now I’m facing some issue…
when i’m using “plotly.express” library, sublime text is hanging…it’s not working at all.
Can someone help what to do ?

0 Likes

I’ve installed Hermes but unable to open jupyter notebooks in sublime as it is opening notebooks as json file. Can anyone here help me out please??

0 Likes

Hi Randy,

I’ve installed Hermes on Sublime text 3, when I tried opening notebooks sublime is opening json files. please guide me through.

0 Likes

It doesn’t only jupyter notebook. It only connects Sublime Text to a running jupyter session.

0 Likes