Sublime Forum

Hello world does not build. I need help!

Hi! I am new to programming, and I just started reading Python Crash Course. I installed python 3.9.2 and Sublime Text 3 (Build 3211) on windows 10.

I tried running print(“Hello world!”) on command window, and it was properly outputted.
Next, on Sublime text 3, I went to Tools→Build system→New Build system, and deleted the text and entered

{
“cmd”: [“python3”, “-u”, “$file”],
}

and saved as Python3.sublime-build. I selected Tools→Build system→Python 3. Then, I created a new file, saved it, and typed

print(“Hello Python world!”)

and the result on the bottom on the screen was

Python [Finished in 0.2s]

I saw other topics where the output was [Finished in 0.2s], but this my case seems different. I tried saving the file before building.
Is there anything I can do to fix this problem? Thanks.

0 Likes

As there are people asking exactly this question every 2nd day, you may find the answer very quickly via search functionality of this forum.

0 Likes

Hi. Today, I reinstalled Sublime Text 3, and this time I skipped the process of making Python3.sublime-build, and build print(“Hello world!”) while selecting python, not python 3, as build system.
Surprisingly, it was properly build, but I’m not sure why skipping the process of Python3.sublime-build and selecting python as build system worked. Shouldn’t I be selecting python 3 as build system since I am using python 3? Can I keep using python as build system? Thanks.

0 Likes