Sublime Forum

Greetings/Questions/Suggestions

Greetings! I’m an engineering student (about to graduate, yikes), and I’ve used ST exclusively for a bit over a year now. In that time, I’ve used it heavily for LaTeX, Python, C, Java, Assembly and HTML, and lightly with a couple of other languages. As soon as I’m no longer a poor student, I would love to buy it (sorry!). But in the mean time I have a minor suggestion or two and a couple of questions, which I shall enumerate forthrightly.

Suggestions:

• I adore goto anything, but it seems to be a little stupid when I move or delete a file. I’ve recently written a large number of very minor snippets, and decided to move them from the LaTeX package directory to the User package directory. However, ST2dev doesn’t seem to realize that the files are no longer in the same place: whenever I use goto anything one of these snippets is invariable the first item matched, and it’s opened empty and unsaved. I would expect ST to be smart enough to realize that an empty+unsaved file should be pruned from the goto anything search path? Also (although it works great!), it would be nice to have some additional customization for goto anything, such as the ability to set the goto file search path and [regex] filename indexing.

• I’ve never really been able to understand the behavior of the [ctrl]+[tab] tab switch mechanism; it seems to record the active tab order in some sort of stack? I would *really *like to be able to use spatial tab switching instead of temporal, as it takes me way too much brainpower to remember what views in what order I’ve had open.

Questions:

• Are there key bindings set by default for Find All / Replace All, and, if not, how can I set them? Also, how can I set key bindings to toggle e.g., regex matching?

• I use snippets to insert accents in LaTeX using an American keyboard: e’ -> é, u^ -> û, c -> ç, etc. Is there a better/recommended way of doing this? Is there some way to put multiple snippets in the same file? :confused:

• I use ST on several computers, and syncing snippets and plugins is a pain. Is there some way I can change the package directory to, say, somewhere inside my Dropbox so that several STs can use the same directory? :smile:

Thanks!

EDIT: Ooh, I forgot one. Is there some way I can set the line indent?

0 Likes

It would be nice if goto anything realized when files were deleted… The workaround right now is to go to File>Open Recent>Clear Items.

Ctrl+tab navigates in MRU order. You can change the keybinding from prev/next_view_in_stack to prev/next_view in order to move through them in spatial order. Personally I have keybindings for both actions set up, so I can use whichever is handier.

There are no default keybindings for find-all or replace-all. Find-all is easy to bind (it’s called find_all) but as far as I can tell the only way to call either replace or replace-all is through the Find panel—sublime.log_commands doesn’t show anything when buttons in that panel are pushed, unfortunately, and neither of the commands replace or replace_all seem to exist. I agree this is annoying. Additionally, there are no keybindings to toggle regex or any of the other find options. This is one of the only things I have to use my mouse for and it too is annoying.

There used to be a --data flag you could give to Sublime to tell it where the packages were, but I don’t believe this flag exists in 2.0. You could download the standalone version, though, and just put the whole thing in your Dropbox. The only problem is your session would also get synced across computers.

What do you mean by set the line indent? Does View>Indentation not do what you want?

0 Likes

Thank you! I got the prev/next tab thing working, as well as the find all command. I would put ST in the Dropbox folder, except that I’m using the 64-bit version on one computer and a 32-bit version on another (and don’t they store data in a local user directory anyway?).

Re. indent: there’s a more technical word, but I don’t know what it is. I generally either set the view to a “code” mode or a “text” mode, depending on the content. Here’s the screenshot comparison: [1] [2]. I was just wondering the other day if there was a way to “center” the text in the view.

Does anyone know where there’s a list of ST2[dev] command line parameters?

0 Likes

The portable versions of Sublime Text store all their data in the same folder as the executable. You could maybe just use the 32-bit version on both computers. I do know that NTFS supports some form of symlinking, also, so you could look at that—I’m pretty sure the packages directory is the same across processor architectures.

Are you looking for the draw_centered option maybe? Or are you just looking to put a wide margin on the left side of the text? I don’t think the latter is possible (just move the window to the right?).

0 Likes