Sublime Forum

Git integration missing files

I’m seeing red dots against certain directories in the left file viewer. Hovering the pointer over the red dot shows the label ‘contains missing files’. This doesn’t make sense - if a file is missing, how can it be ‘contained’ by a folder?

How do I get rid of these annoying red dots?

Sublime Text build 4126

0 Likes

https://www.reddit.com/r/SublimeText/comments/o8duu3/what_does_the_red_contains_missing_files_git/

0 Likes

The answer given in that post is:

“That means that there’s a deleted file in git, ie. a file that has previous been staged/committed and is now no longer present.”

I don’t understand the concept of a deleted file being “in git”, or contained within a folder. If a file has been deleted, it no longer exists, so how can it be “in” anything?

Unless it means that a file exists in a previous commit to a repository, but no longer exists in the latest commit. But this is a normal part of the development process, so why would I need to be warned about that by a red dot?

0 Likes

It means, there is an uncommitted change, that file has been deleted. That indicator will go away once these changes have been committed. It is to give you a visual indicator that a file was deleted

This is no different than git. Telling you you have a deleted file that is not yet been committed.

0 Likes

I have everything committed, and ‘working tree clean’. Yet I still get 3 red dots against 3 directories

0 Likes

Then it’s likely a bug. Does it happen when you start Sublime in safe mode and open that directory?

0 Likes

Yes, it does still happen in safe mode

0 Likes