Sublime Forum

Getting started with web development

Firstly, I’d like to thank the developer for creating what appears to be a great piece of software! And for removing the time restriction from the trial! I don’t have very much time to explore right now, so the lack of a time limit to try this out will really benefit me personally.

On to my main point-- I am building websites using PHP, MySQL, HTML5, jQuery. I’m so used to doing everything in Notepad++ and an FTP client, that I’m not sure where to start.

I’ve had Dreamweaver for many years, and I like the ability to have a local testing server, where I can edit, create, and test locally then sync all new files to the server without blinking an eye. But, I never use it. It’s too much of a hog for me. I’d rather use my FileZilla to sync everything and just write everything manually.

My friend suggested I have now workflow, and suggested I get set up to use scriptlets and a number of other things. I tried Coda, didn’t like it.

Here I am trying Sublime. Right off the bat it looks lightweight and has plenty of options. I’m excited!

Except I have no idea where to start. I’ve installed, added all the suggested plugins, and I’m ready to rock with a nice blank document.

I’ve got FTPS, but I have no idea where my file controls are. I’ve got no idea how to go about attaching sublime to my production server, or, really, even how to start a local file structure.

My sidebar is empty, my document is titled “untitled”, and my eyes are steadily reading through the documentation, but I’m not finding a starting point.

Can anyone point an inexperience newbie in the right direction?

0 Likes