Sublime Forum

Force-enabling OpenGL in OSX 10.14.4

Hi there, long-time user of both Sublime Text and Sublime Merge. Love your work. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve recently moved to a machine with OS X 10.14.4 installed and unfortunately for reasons outside my control I don’t have the ability to update the OS. I’m having significant issues with Sublime Merge — the app is freezing for 10-15 seconds occasionally, especially when I’m switching between diffs and expanding / collapsing them.

On the console, I’m constantly seeing this: detected macOS 10.14.4: disabling OpenGL rendering. From the changelogs I gather there was a bug in 10.14.4 and the app disables hardware rendering if it encounters that. Unfortunately, since I’m running at 5k resolution, this means my Sublime Merge 2 is dropping to software rendering mode and absolutely choking to the point of non-usefulness.

Is there a flag somewhere that that would force-enable the OpenGL even in 10.14.4? I’d be ok even if the app crashed every 15 minutes, since as of now it is completely unusable. In the Settings > Advanced > Hardware Acceleration (OpenGL) is set to enabled already, it makes no difference.

0 Likes

There is no current way to do this. 10.14.4 has many graphics driver bugs, some of which prevent launching the application.

0 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I ended up being able to bypass the version lock on this machine so as to move off of 10.14.4, and it works fine now.

0 Likes