Sublime Forum

Finding .html and .css code Where does it go?

I have been saving code that I am working on as .html and .css on my Windows computer. I can still find the links for my .html, but that takes me straight to the url page, not my sublime code text. How do I relocate my in process and/or finished code text?

thank you,
Benji

0 Likes

If you had saved the file, then In Sublime Text, go to the File menu -> Open Recent and then select the file you were previously working on.

If you never saved the file, and assuming you didn’t close the file, Sublime Text should start with any previously open files where you left off.

0 Likes

Thank you for responding so quickly. I have tried your advice, but the files are now blank, despite the fact that when I open them using the browser link, they are still active. I have included two screenshots that I hope help clear up the issue. Any ideas?

thanks,
Benji

0 Likes

The Sublime window shows a file named fonts.html in the Documents folder, but the window on the right shows the file you’re looking at sitting directly on your Desktop. What does the tab to the right that’s labeled fonts.html - Desktop show?

0 Likes

Same…:frowning:

0 Likes

The browser shows the file open is

Desktop/udemy/fonts.html

None of the files you have shown are that file.

2 Likes

I will just start over. Very confused. Most of the files that I have saved and have been working on are now empty, when I reopen them from “open recent.”

0 Likes

Did you move them or rename any part of their path?

0 Likes

I did not rename, or to my knowledge move the fonts.html sublime text. I also don’t understand how the sublime text box is now empty, but the url is still opening?

0 Likes

Most of my confusion comes down to; how do I find the correct sublime file after I have closed it. I always save them to my desktop as a .html. But I often cannot reopen them in Sublime, and if I do, they are often empty.

0 Likes

The file you have open in your browser is not directly on your desktop, it’s in the udemy folder. My guess is either you or some program moved your files. The recently opened files menu relies on your files being in the same place, if they’re moved it won’t be able to find them and opens a new file to save at the old location. If you want to open a file after moving it you need to use the Open File… menu item or ctrl+o.

1 Like

Okay, I tried to open the file from “open file”. I searched under .html and nothing related it appears that no Sublime files are found by the computer, only Chrome links.

0 Likes

Show us your content in C:/Users/browa/Desktop/udemy/ directory :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Sorry, Nothing there…

0 Likes

Files take on the icon of the program that’s going to open them, and for web pages that’s your browser (in your case chrome). If these files were considered “Sublime” files, then double clicking them would open them in Sublime for editing instead of showing you what they look like in a browser, which is not what you want.

0 Likes

There’s no such thing as “Sublime files”. Files on a computer can contain any kind of data, regardless of which extension they use or which program windows explorer will open them with. HTML files contain text and by convention end with .html.

Sublime Text can open any file. If it contains text it will display said text.

0 Likes

So how do I find my .html files that are supposed to open in Sublime? My problem is that they are disappearing, so I have to start over it seems, whenever I close a file in Sublime.

0 Likes

You’ve found them already. Those “chrome links” you posted earlier are html files.

0 Likes

How do I reopen the file in Sublime?

0 Likes

So I can continue working on them.

0 Likes