Sublime Forum

Find Selection and Replace Does Not Work At All

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong but in the Find menu there is an option to use selection for replace. This is not working at all. I select a word, choose this option from the menu, and nothing happens. At all. It’s as if I didn’t even do anything. The default shortcut of cmd+shift+E also does nothing. What am I doing wrong here? Normally a find and replace tool appears at the bottom, but literally nothing happens. No error, no nothing. I have no plugins. This is Sublime Text 3 latest version for Mac OS X.

0 Likes

This is standard behavior on Mac OS. cmd+e copies the current selection into the global find clipboard for finding across applications, while cmd+f opens up the find tool. f3 find the next occurrence of what’s in the global find clipboard.

0 Likes

This is not the case, clearly…

Use selection for Find does not result in anything happening at all. Do I have to hit cmd+E and THEN hit cmd+opt+F? Why isn’t it just all one shortcut like Notepad++?

0 Likes

The shortcut conventions are different on macOS than on windows. On windows Sublime Text’s ctrl+f works the same as notepad++'s ctrl+f. On macOS cmd+e, cmd+g, cmd+f, etc. Work the same way as other macOS applications. You can read more about the shared find clipboard that macOS uses here: http://macromates.com/blog/2005/the-shared-find-clipboard/

0 Likes