Sublime Forum

Find Results Couple Ideas (Cursor position, and Saving)

I <3 find. It’s pretty damned good.

Here are a couple ideas for improving it (that I’m sure someone else has already suggested at some point or already exist and I just don’t know it :slight_smile:

1. Carry cursor position forward. Make entire result double-clickable, and then set the cursor position in the file, to where it was in the find result. Currently if you double click the line that has the match, it’ll take you to that line. Might as well make it take you to the character pos in that line too?

2. Saving from within find results. It’d be nice if I could make edits in Find Results, and then when I save, be given the option to save all the changes back to their respective files. I could search for some general string, and then make edits to all the files and save without having to open each file.

Edit: Doh. I should read stickies. Going to userecho =]

0 Likes

Open file from find results keyboard shortcut

Make sure to post the user echo links here for people to add their +1’s to.

I would also love it if find in files actually selected the matching text rather than just taking you to the line of the matching text :frowning:

A quick solution is to do a “find next” (F3) after you double click on the search results (which should select the text you just searched for). Even so, this should really just work out of the box.

0 Likes

How about showing the total number of results found. That seems like a no brainer :smile:

0 Likes

It does show the total in the bottom left corner.

0 Likes

He’s talking about the find in files functionality rather than the normal find within a view. When I use find in files, it displays a summary a the end of the results: “x matches in y file”.

0 Likes

+1 especially for carrying cursor position to file, current behavior is a bit counter intuitive.

[quote=“thoughtless”]I <3 find. It’s pretty damned good.

Here are a couple ideas for improving it (that I’m sure someone else has already suggested at some point or already exist and I just don’t know it :smile:

1. Carry cursor position forward. Make entire result double-clickable, and then set the cursor position in the file, to where it was in the find result. Currently if you double click the line that has the match, it’ll take you to that line. Might as well make it take you to the character pos in that line too?

2. Saving from within find results. It’d be nice if I could make edits in Find Results, and then when I save, be given the option to save all the changes back to their respective files. I could search for some general string, and then make edits to all the files and save without having to open each file.

Edit: Doh. I should read stickies. Going to userecho =][/quote]

0 Likes