Sublime Forum

Find in Files is very slow in ST3

I finally made the switch a couple of months ago to ST3 from ST2 (on OS X), and I’m finding the “Find in Files” functionality in ST3 to be extremely slow. I have a very large folder that’s open (probably over 10K files), and I observe the following:

• In ST2, I do a Find in Files with the following search:

It takes less than 2 seconds to run the entire search.

• In ST3, I do the exact same search on the same folder, and it takes maybe 30-60 seconds to just show me how many files there (same number of files) and it takes maybe another minute to finish all the matches (same end results as ST2).

This is one of my number one use cases for ST (code browsing), so it’s really painful that this doesn’t work well. I’ve migrated all my settings from ST2 over to ST3, but I probably messed something up. I couldn’t find any setting that looked relevant.

Finally, note that I don’t use projects - I just open folders from the shell into ST3 (or ST2), and don’t want to have to keep making folder definitions all the time.

Any ideas what might be happening?

0 Likes

interesting - somebody reported the opposite recently - ST2 was slow, ST3 was fast: Sublime 2: find and replace exceedingly slow (normal or regex)

0 Likes

Interesting - I don’t even do a Replace, just a find.

It’s so much worse I have to imagine I’ve misconfigured something, but I can’t for the life of me think what it might be.

0 Likes

I’m also having trouble with ST3 find in files being slow in recent times. It is as if search used to use caching and doesn’t anymore. I’ve only about 1500 files and a search takes at least 10 seconds. Not so dramatic as the 10k files case, but I’m sure it used to be pleasantly fast.

0 Likes

Changing from an exclusive filter to an inclusive filter has greatly improved performance.

I had set the search to the base project directory and then used exclude filters for all the temp, intermediate, etc. folders. Changing to instead use an filter that includes only the folders I want is vastly faster.

I guess filtering only excludes things after all the work has already been done. Unfortunate.

0 Likes