Sublime Forum

Find and replace panels keeping focus

I’ve been having issues with the selection of find results not being bright enough and I thought it was my theme. I realized after changing it it wasn’t and the selection color was actually being dimmed because the find text box still had focus. It’s pretty cumbersome having to type what you want to search for then click the view you want to search in (that it’s already searching in) and then click find. Perhaps make the find button give focus back to the view it’s searching in after clicking it? Or maybe just disable the dimming of selections in inactive views?

Also a slightly related issue with the replace panel, I find it kind of annoying the find all and replace all buttons close the replace window. I often use find all to see if what I’m looking to replace is in a file and to also double check it isn’t grabbing anything I don’t want it to. So hitting find all, then ctrl + h again to replace is kind of annoying. Also having it close on replace all is kind of annoying when doing multiple replaces in one go. It would nice if the all buttons didn’t close the panel.

0 Likes

With regards to the first point, it sounds like the incremental find panel may have a better workflow for you: Ctrl+I,type,enter, and the text will be selected (and the panel closed).

0 Likes

This is something I have not been able to adapt to in Sublime Text. I wish there was an option for mac users to make it behave in the standard way that find dialogs behave in Mac applications.

It wastes so so much of my time. And to add insult to injury, changes to the find field are immediate, so every time I mistakenly think focus will be in the editor and start typing BOOM! I am at some other usually unrelated part of my document.

It’s totally muscle memory, from years and years of being a mac user, and I despair at changing it in my brain. And if I did succeed, I wouldn’t want to make it muscle memory and therefore FAST because then I’d be screwed in normal mac applications.

I just keep hoping Textmate 2 fixes it’s performance issues, because despite the power and flexibility of Sublime it’s many little un-mac-like quirks are a constant frustrating drain on my productivity and enjoyment.

1 Like