Thanks for responding.
In fact that’s what I’m doing, using Windows standard Find and Replace routine. It takes about five minutes to replace all six x-letter strings with their Unicode counterparts, in a routine that might be described as: “find the first letter-group and replace all copies of it with this Unicode. Then find the next letter group and replace all of them with this Unicode”, in other words I’m doing manually the kind of monotonous logical routine computers were born for.
And in fact for years I’ve been using a program called Replace Text (formerly BK Replace Em) to do exactly that: it zipped through the replacements in less than two seconds. But I changed to Windows 11 and now Replace Text no longer replaces, so I’m looking for a replacement replacer. I thought that might be Sublime Text.
The data is a vocabulary file for the translator traduku.net
In a single column, line 1 is English, line 2 is its equivalent in Esperanto, line 3 in English and so on, like this:
go into debt
/surpreni sxuldon/prunti monon
go into decline
go into effect
go into exile
/ekziligxi/ekzili sin/foriri al ekziligxo
go into hiding
go into liquidation
The letter-pairs with ‘x’ are a convenient way of writing the sibilants ‘ch’, ‘sh’ and so on. Before uploading to the server, I replace them with their counterparts in Unicode. Displayed on-screen, the letters appear in their standard form: ĉ - ĝ - ĥ - ĵ - ŝ - ŭ