Sublime Forum

File Tabs: Show Tab Number in Tab and Sidebar

I find very useful the keyobard shortcuts Alt+(1-9) to quickly navigate among open file tabs in the current group.

But sometimes it’s difficoult to keep track of which number is associated which which file (especially if opening and closing files while working, which disrupts the tabs numbering), so I’d like ST to show a number somewhere in the Tabs (1–9) of every group, as a reminder of their associated number.

This number could be placed right before the filename (eg. 1 myfile.c) using a different colour; or it could be shown as a popup when overing over the tab.

Possibly, if these numbers were shown also in the sidebar it would facilitate even further finding out which number a Tab is associated with.

I guess the problem is how to implement this in a non visually intrusive manner; but since only the range 1-9 is supported, it’s always going to be a single digit to be shown.

Whichever the solution might be, I think it would be nice to have this as a native feature, allowing users to disable it via some settings.

1 Like