Sublime Forum

File Open Dialog Boxes Stop Working after 2-4 days

I’m running Sublime 3.1.1 build 3176 on Windows 7 64 bit Enterprise SP1.

After a few days of being logged in, almost all of the the dialog boxes on Sublime fail to display. “File Open”, “File Save As”, “Save Workspace As” - they all fail to display.

Pressing the accelerator keys for (for example) File Open just causes the main Sublime window to flash briefly, as if focus was transferred away and immediately back again.

Opening a file by right clicking in Explorer and choosing “Open with sublime text” works.

Dialog boxes “Help About”, “Help Changelog”, “Help Check for Updates” DO work.

Shutting down and restarting Sublime sometimes rectifies the situation. Logging off and on again always rectifies the situation.

I thought this might be a system handles issue, but other applications (Excel, Word) do not show problems with the “File Open” / “Save As” boxes.

Any idea what’s causing this, or where Sublime places a log that I might examine?

0 Likes

are you a registered user? sometimes people without licenses have problems on Windows because there is a dialog box they didn’t see reminding to buy a license if you like the software

0 Likes

Good point, but yes, I am a registered user.

0 Likes

are there any (error) messages in the ST console (View menu -> Show Console) when the dialogs fail to display?

0 Likes

Unfortunately, I didn’t think to look in there the last time it failed! I will check the NEXT time it fails, which will probably be in a few days. I will post the messages here, when they appear.

0 Likes

I now have an answer to this!

The console displays the message:

“Error showing save dialog: 2”

Could someone from tech support suggest what’s causing this?

The machine was last rebooted about 3 days ago and has been up since then.

0 Likes

are you by any chance trying to save a new text file whose first line contains a character that is invalid in NTFS/FAT32/whatever file system you are using?

0 Likes