Sublime Forum

File -> New cannot be modified

Hi,
I just downloaded Sublime_text_3 so I’m a newbie.
I have an open source package that I’m trying to test. Since I did not see a direct way to create a new project, I launched sublime with nothing loaded, selected ‘add folder to project’, selected the root folder of the open source project and selected ‘save project’. Now, I want to add a ‘main.cpp’ file to actually create a test. However, when I click ‘File -> New’ it opens a tab with ‘untitled’ but cannot modify the window – it appears read-only. I can save it, and give it a name, which has zero bytes in it. I can try to open the file, but still it cannot be modified.

I know this sounds very odd and like stupid pilot error (which it may very well be), but I don’t know how a new file cannot be editable.

BTW: the only package I have installed in the ActualVim plugin/package.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes

If you’re using a vim package, my guess would be that you perhaps forget to switch from command mode to insert mode. That would make all of the keys you use to type appear to the plugin as commands instead of as characters to insert. Pressing i to go into insert mode may resolve the issue for you.

0 Likes

good guess, but no… I did try several ways to get into insert mode (i, a, A, o)…

0 Likes

Does creating a new file and typing in it work when you have ActualVim removed?

0 Likes

Something broke the n(eo)vim installation – error messages in the console were helpful.
I took the brute force approach and removed sublime/neovim and all associated directories and did a re-install. Now it works.

0 Likes

Hi Will,

I’m not sure that I tried that, but I did get it fixed. The problem was something in the neovim install got broken. It had worked earlier in the day and so I didn’t even think about that. I finally saw the console output and noticed that ActualVim/neovim was crashing and apparently sending sublime into the editing weeds. Not being a particularly patient person, I went nuclear and removed both sublime and the plugin and associated directories/files and re-installed. That worked.

Thanks for the help!

k.

1 Like