Sublime Forum

File linking within ST

This is probably impractical or maybe impossible in a text editor, but here goes: I’m using ST3 to writer prose, and I’m a new user. I’m on Ubuntu. I’m currently running my main text ST project window side-by-side with a “notes” ST project that is a multi-level hierarchy of folders and files. And I’m wondering about the possibilty of being able to add some kind of linking system to that notes project, so I can jump around in my notes quickly and easily.

Ideally, I guess, it would work like hyperlinking, but I understand why that won’t work in a text-only environment. Still, I wanted to just put it out there in case anyone had some thoughts or other directions I could look to start thinking up a system that might get me close to that sort of functionality.

I know I could put all those notes into something like Cherrytree or Zim-Wiki, and that may be where I end up. But I’m having so much fun tweaking ST that I wondered if some kind of ST-focused file-linking solution might be possible. Thoughts?

0 Likes

Plugins can definitely do that. As an example, here is something that may give you some inspiration

Granted that is this is mainly written as a help system to easily view documentation in the form of text files, but this implements the file linking solution in a way, maybe what you are looking for.
The author of this tool @OdatNurd is an active member & he maybe able to give more pointers on this.

0 Likes

That’s really encouraging to hear. Thanks so much, and thanks for that link. I will definitely give it a go.

0 Likes