Sublime Forum

Feature Request: Open Folder from Command Pallette and/or Open Project Workflow

I like to use Sublime in full screen mode with the menu toggled off. In my work I switch between several different projects in a day. Currently my workflow for changing projects is:

1. shift-ctrl-P to open command palette.
  2. toggle the menu bar on.
  3. select open folder and select my new project.
  4. exit full screen
  5. close the older window
  6. set fullscreen on the new project
  7. shift-ctrl-P top open the command palette
  8. toggle the menu bar off.

What I would like to see: if I could select open folder that would then open a folder select workflow from the command palette and it would replace the current open folder. It could be called “Open a Project” or something.

It would look like:

1. Shift Cmd -P to open command palette
  2. Select Open Project
  3. Select Project Folder
  4. Old project replaced with new one

This would help me maintain more ‘flow’ in my workday.

P.S. I’ve used Sublime since version 1, it is by far my favorite piece of software ever. Keep on being awesome. :slight_smile:

0 Likes

This is exactly what Project Manager can do for you.

I also use FuzzyFileNav to replace the ordinary Open File dialog.

1 Like

Based on your description, I think what you want is Project > Quick Switch Project from the menu. It opens up a panel that shows you all of the projects that you’ve previously used, allows you to fuzzy search to narrow the list to the project you’re interested in, and once selected it replaces the project in the current window with the one you selected.

The downside (such as it is) is that it only shows you projects that you’ve previously used, so for a newly added project you need to manually open the project as you’re doing (but more on that below).

An example of this in action:

The command is bound to Ctrl+Alt+P on Linux and Cmd+Ctrl+P on MacOS, but isn’t mapped to anything by default on Windows. A binding such as the following can be added to your custom keybinds for Windows (or if you’d rather have it on another key):

{ "keys": ["ctrl+alt+p"], "command": "prompt_select_workspace" },

You can also create a file in your User package named Default.sublime-commands and put the following in it (or just add the commands if you’ve already got such a file):

[
    { "caption": "Project: Quick Switch", "command": "prompt_select_workspace" },
    { "caption": "Project: Open", "command": "prompt_open_project_or_workspace" }
]

That will add the quick switch command to the command palette, and also give you the ability to open a project from the command palette without having to toggle the menu first.

1 Like

This is exactly what I wanted! Thank you so much.

0 Likes

You might like Open Sesame. It doesn’t do exactly what you want, but it’s certainly a feature I want to implement.

Configure your projects path, then use Ctrl+Alt+o or the command palette:

And it will prompt you with your projects as 2-folder structures i.e. like the user/repository of a github url:

You can configure it for projects structyres that 1 folder deep, but I highly recommend organising your projects in a user/repository structure.

1 Like