Sublime Forum

[Feature] List of previous commands

The problem
Right now, I (sometimes) have a hard time understanding what a certain shortcut does. I can always look through the bindings, but it’s sometimes hard to tell which binding is active, if the binding is overwritten by some other file, and which contexts are relevant. And I’m not even a complete newbie to Sublime.

The solution
So my idea is this:
At the bottom-right of the window (to the left of the filetype text), there will be a list of previous commands run.
It will work just like the filetype: the text itself will always be of the last command run, but when clicking it, you’ll get a list of all the previous commands you ran (up to a certain number).
When I say commands, I mean pretty much everything that Sublime does except inserting single letters and moving the cursor.

This will be hugely helpful in debugging Sublime (understanding what exactly is triggered at any time), but it will also help newbies get better acquainted with the editor without having to do a lot of work.
When I used Emacs, there was a command which let you input a keyboard shortcut, and showed what function that carried out. I would regularly trigger (by accident) some new shortcut I didn’t know about, then look at its help to see what it was. This was a great way of discovering new commands.

Some enhancements
A few things that would make this even better:

1. Next to the command run, will be displayed the shortcut used to run that command.
  2. Clicking on the command will execute it again.
  3. There’ll be some way to see from which file the shortcut is bound. Very useful for debugging.

Well that’s me. Thoughts anyone? Like/dislike?

0 Likes

Thanks, that definitely helps
But I still think the feature I want is a good one, since it’s more accessible to new users, who most need something like this.

0 Likes