Sublime Forum

Favorites - new ST3 plugin

Hi all,

I just wanted to share my ST3 plugin - Favorites (list of frequently used documents) for Sublime Text 3.
While plugin functionality overlaps with some other similar ST3 plugins, it has a strong distinction - it offers visual management of the Favorites’ items.

The plugin will be soon available via Package Control but in a mean time you can install it via GitHub repository: https://github.com/oleg-shilo/sublime-favorites

1 Like

@taras1, is in your plugin features, which are not in the package FavoriteFiles?

Thanks.

0 Likes

Cannot really answer this question.

FavoriteFiles was the first plugin I have installed on my ST3 with the hope that it would give me the functionality I was looking for. It didn’t work for me. Its home page didn’t help me neither. So I juts quickly altered my CodeMap plugin do job and released it as Favorites.

Just from the quick reading from the FavoriteFiles home page I see that “All commands are accessible via the command palette.” And my point was to provide an interactive visual. But otherwise it might be very similar. Really don’t know.

0 Likes

This plugin is mouse driven the other one is keyboard driven, so they have different features. However it may be the best to join both to one, which supports both input types.

0 Likes

At this point, I have no interest in adding a mouse driven interface to FavoriteFiles. I just wouldn’t use the that. And I don’t really add features to specifically pull in new users. Most of my plugin development is, for the most part, motivated by what I use. Since I wouldn’t use a mouse driven interface, it is doubtful I would spend the time on such a feature in the future.

I don’t see a problem with two plugins existing that target different audiences, but if Favorites wishes to develop an interface like FavoriteFiles and target both kinds of users, that is fine as well. I’m not concerned with which plugin users prefer. If FavoriteFiles ever falls out of popularity, I’ll simply remove it from Package Control and either keep using mine personally, or use the other Package if it is all around better.

Anyways, congrats on your new plugin @taras1!

0 Likes

I gave another go for Favorite Files plugin and also had a look at the code. I totally agree with @facelessuser. These two plugins are completely different creatures.

Favorite File is a comprehensive solution for managing frequently used files. It allows files to be grouped automatically (based on ST project) or manually/arbitrary by user. It embraces the potential complexity of the favorites structured tree while limiting the user experience to the ST command palette. And this is exactly what I, similarly to @facelessuser, “…have no interest in adding…” :slight_smile:

Favorites plugin is an extremely simple solution that is mimicking your web browser bookmarks bar. It maintains a global flat list of favorite documents and allows adding and opening them with a single double-click. That is it. Nor more no less.
@facelessuser is right we are developing software primarily to “scratching our own itch”. And being old-factioned I need to see my favorite items in a stationary list. BTW Favorites is a logical equivalent on the Favorites tab from the Notepad++ CS-Script.Npp plugin that many my users are already familiar with.

Anyway, adding mouse capabilities to Favorite File would be a bit of a challenge. Not technically but conceptually. Favorites paradigm doesn’t fit well into Favorite Files. Thus I see no compelling reason for the merger. @facelessuser is right again, these two plugins have different objective so having them both individually is more beneficial then trying to inject one into another.

Thus I have updated the Favorite with the optional Favorite File integration. If enabled, it uses Favorite File global data file as a data source.
The integration is limited to reading Favorite Files data file, flattening it and allowing to open files on double-click on the item in the Favorites panel.

I think it is a reasonable compromise.

3 Likes

@taras1, Sounds good :slightly_smiling:.

0 Likes

Since I’m the reviewing entity here I can confidently say that these packages can perfectly live side by side. Just for clarification.

1 Like