Sublime Forum

Facelessuser ST2 Plugin Support Has Ended Officially

Some may have noticed I have been cleaning up the issues on my plugins. This has been in preparations for killing ST2 support. I have removed ST2 from my systems, and frankly, I am tired of having to test every new feature in both ST2 and ST3. It is too much work.

So, what has happened?
I have officially ended ST2 support for all my plugins. This doesn’t mean the plugins have gone away for ST2, just that I will no longer be adding features or support for ST2. ST3 will continue to receive updates and support.

• All branches now have a master, ST2 and/or ST3 branch

• Package Control now points to the ST2 branch or the ST3 branch for the respective version of Sublime Text

• Master branch is the latest branch and were all development goes. So the master now is equivalent to the ST3 branch

• No new features will be accepted on ST2 branches

• I might take small pull requests for basic things like new BracketHighlighter rules for ST2, or new ApplySyntax rules for ST2 but the pull requester will be required to make relevant changes on the main branch if they want the ST2 branch to be pulled

• All new features and bug fixes and general support will be for ST3 only

• When filing an issue, I will require that the user posts what version and OS the issue is for. Issues that do not contain this info will be closed (I may post an issue explaining this info; not sure how I plan on managing this yet). Issues not for ST3 will be closed.

Hope that makes things clear. I imagine similar things will happen for future STX branches for as long as I am active in the community. I want to focus mainly on what I am using and not waste my free time updating branches I don’t use anymore.

0 Likes

I have re-thought this a little.

Instead I will move ST2 to branches named ST2 in their respective repos. I will not add new features to them, nor will I actively support them (though I am free to make exceptions if/when I choose).

Bug fixes and features will only be applied to the ST3 branches. All pull requests will need to be accepted on the main branch. I may accept small requests for settings updates like BracketHighlighter or ApplySyntax rule definitions, but I will require users to also pull request relevant ST3 related changes to the main branch in order to get ST2 pulled in. This will take the extra work of me remember to back port crap to the ST3 branch when people only pull the ST2.

This will free up the main branch for development. When ST4 comes around, if needed, I can simply fork the main to ST4.

PackageControl pull request has already been made for this change. After that ST3 changes will all be merged to the main branch in their respective repos, and they will become the dev branch.

0 Likes

ST2 support is has officially ended. Opening post has been updated will relevant information.

0 Likes