Sublime Forum

Extension authors now moving to VSCode?

Looks like most ST extension authors are now moving to vscode. There seems to be fewer and fewer extensions that work :frowning:quite unfortunate as Iā€™ve just recently bought my copy.

Are there any not-too-technical documentation on creating ST plugins? Particularly with regards to syntax highlighting? Iā€™d like to update an existing codebase for nunjucks syntax.

0 Likes

Iā€™m not sure what makes it look ā€œlike most ST extension authors are now moving to vscodeā€. New packages are submitted at a rate of several per week.

Here is the syntax definition documentation.

It looks like the existing Nunjucks package was only maintained for a short time and has been abandoned for years. It also looks like that syntax definition is based on a very old version of the core HTML definition. If I were you, Iā€™d start from scratch rather than trying to extend the old syntax.

If you do create a better Nunjucks package, and the author of the original agrees, the ā€œNunjucksā€ name in Package Control can be moved to point to the newer package instead.

4 Likes

Iā€™m publishing many of my packages for three platforms: Sublime Text, Atom and Visual Studio Code. There are many features I like (and prefer) in the latter two, both from a userā€™s and a package developerā€™s point of view. Visual Studio Code has some amazing features, Atom has the most powerful API. However, since performance matters to me, so I still use Sublime Text for all my projects.

3 Likes

Iā€™m only publishing for Sublime Text at the moment because of lack of time. I also am not a fan of Atom or VS Code because theyā€™re so slow compared to Sublime Text. And Notepad++ had memory leaks in most of the plugins I use and I donā€™t feel like porting to it at the moment especially since it doesnā€™t support threading natively ( searching in file causes the entire application to lock up for minutes at a time ).

I do like Atom and VS Code for supporting advanced panels because it provides more options - but Sublime Text supports Python meaning you can use TKInter and create your own panels and use a networking or other communication package to transfer the data between sublime text and backā€¦ I may end up going this route because itā€™d provide a more uniform setup and less bloatā€¦ Weā€™ll seeā€¦

0 Likes

you can use jinja2 syntax definition for nunjucks, or twig syntax. and itā€™s fine

i have merged both in one file and had some customization, and it looks like in my theme(but theme is customized too)

here is file https://github.com/kat0d/sublime-jinja2-twig

0 Likes