Sublime Forum

"+/-" explicit expand/collapse should ideally be added to gui + sidebar file mgmt improvements needed, it's 2021 folks ;)

Long-time user of Sublime.

Can you please simply add next to ‘FOLDERS’ Sidebar heading: a small icon/char to be able to collapse/expand all folders.

I understand the keybinding of CTRL-ALT-LEFTCLICK on the toggle icon/char but it’s a P.I.T.A. and simple “gui” explicit clickable element would be completely justified by the fact this functionality does exist and that you already have “+/-” to expand individual folders.

Raise your hand if you have had a large tree of files, expand/collapse them and then find yourself with many open, finally scrolling mousewheel only to get carpal tunnel and get annoyed that you have to utilize 2 hands + three fingers simply to collapse all folders, instead of like many other apps for years, to just left-click once.

Raise your hand if you were forced to search online at one point for an answer of how to do this or look at keybindings for ‘collapse’ only to be severely incovenienced, disappointed and FRUSTRATED.

Be nice. Good design in this commonplace scenario would be to have a little “+/-” along parent heading on GUI (just like you already have on tree + and -) so that new users and old don’t have to scratch their head or want to go spasmo.

I am not kidding, this issue has even made consider to once again search for Sublime Text alternatives just for this issue. Sometimes, you don’t want to just have to keep memorizing all keystrokes, stroking constantly, especially for such basic expected feature, all considering the purpose of this editor.

Part Two.

Also while I have SidebarMenuAdvanced and SideBarTools installed (probably in my past quest to get better collapse/expand functionality and I know I had to even go to some third-party website to find a how-to [sign of total design and tool failure]), there are common sense functions from these plugins that should be native absolutely for a sidebar file manager like renaming files and folder, a few commands, multi-file simultaneous deletion that are either missing or hidden under cryptic keystrokes. Can’t get into specific but surely a developer at Sublime can install the above, compare and see what I may mean.

Hope this feedback and requests help. Looking forward to some long overdue improvements to native, if you could be so kind. Common file management and maintenance task are absolutely key to a editor.

Personally I do not like any of the other editors out there, either for being heavyweight or the opposite: missing many simple and crucial features to just display/manage files properly. Sublime has these features, but could be implemented far far far better - basically in reference to one thing: sidebar/file manager native.

I even just installed light table, the new ide, and pathetically serious problems running out of the gate.

Therefore, it’s Sublime no question, but it is just seriously aggravating to that the sidebar/filebrowser after years has had no native improvements that are so painfully simple and minimal that is baffles the mind! I’d say priority #1.

0 Likes

How many folders have you added to the side-bar? If it’s not a lot I don’t see how a top-level collapse would be at all useful.

I understand the keybinding of CTRL-ALT-LEFTCLICK on the toggle icon/char but it’s a P.I.T.A. and simple “gui” explicit clickable element would be completely justified by the fact this functionality does exist and that you already have “+/-” to expand individual folders.

I’m not aware of any keybinding for ctrl+alt+mouse1 in the side-bar. There’s alt+mouse1 for recursively collapsing and ctrl+mouse1 for toggling the selection.

Raise your hand if you were forced to search online at one point for an answer of how to do this or look at keybindings for ‘collapse’ only to be severely incovenienced, disappointed and FRUSTRATED.

If you have the side-bar focused (ctrl+0) you can collapse a folder using left. You can also use home to go to the first top-level folder or left on a collapsed folder or file to go up one level.

there are common sense functions from these plugins that should be native absolutely for a sidebar file manager like renaming files and folder, a few commands, multi-file simultaneous deletion that are either missing or hidden under cryptic keystrokes. Can’t get into specific but surely a developer at Sublime can install the above, compare and see what I may mean.

Renaming files and folders is built-in, so is multi-file and multi-folder deletion. The main thing missing would be moving files/folders with drag/drop, but plugins can’t implement that and you can achieve the same thing using rename (eg. rename to ../foo/bar.txt).

0 Likes