Sublime Forum

Expand Selection to Word when part of it already selected?

What is the correct(sublime!) way to expand selection to word when part of it is already selected (after getting to this word using incremental search for example)?
Of course, I can create a macro and assign it to, for example Ctrl+Alt+D, but I’m wondering if there’s a nice default way to do it?

1 Like

Sublime Text provides the following function to do that:

{ "command": "expand_selection", "args": {"to": "word"} },

Unfortunately it is not bound to a key nor is it part of the Command Palette or Main Menu.

The Main Menu > Selection > Expand Selection to Word is bound to find_under_expand instead, which is a duplicate of Main Menu > Find > Quick Add Next.

This issue was already discussed without result. I find it an unhappy decision or even a bug.

Enable Sublime Text Command

Hence I remapped the function in all components to what it is meant to be:

Command Palette

{ "caption": "Selection: Expand to Word", "command": "expand_selection", "args": {"to": "word"}},

Key Binding

{ "keys": ["ctrl+shift+w"], "command": "expand_selection", "args": {"to": "word"}},

Main Menu

not possible without creating duplicated item

Alternative Package

You can also try the ExpandRegion package. By pressing ctrl+space key it allows to expand the selection step by step.

6 Likes

What a beautiful answer! Thank you so much! I only changed your keybinding to Ctrl+Alt+D. It looks more consistent to me, because very often you want to proceed from there with Ctrl+D. Btw, Alt+D also doesn’t seem to be assigned to anything, so another good option, imho.

And to help other newcomers who may read this later I would only add that by default there’s no file where you can save your Command Palette custom settings, you have to create a file with the extension .sublime-commands yourself and put it somewhere in your User folder.

0 Likes