Sublime Forum

Error on software launch

I just installed V3 to test it, and many times when I try to opme it I see the error

Error trying to parse settings: Unexpected trailing characters in Packages\User\JSON.sublime-settings:6:1

I have then to shut down the sofware via application manager and restart it. OSM etimes it restart, some times it doesn’t and keep giving that error.

I looked in Windows/Software/Sublime Text 3/Packages but there is no “User” folder there
I am not very tech-savvy, juts the average user, so any suggestion on how to solve this would be really appreciated

Thank you!

0 Likes

the documentation at https://www.sublimetext.com/docs/3/revert.html shows where the data folder is, to help you find the Packages/User folder.

0 Likes

Thank you, however Reverting to a Freshly Installed State by following that tutorial does not solve my issue. As soon as I open the software the error is there again.
I also tried a deep uninstall and reinstall, but no luck.

Also, in my Cache folder (%LOCALAPPDATA%\Sublime Text 3) I still cannot find this “User” folder that error is mentioning…

0 Likes

If ST is installed using the setup on Windows you should find the User package in

%APPDATA%\Sublime Text 3\Packages\User

You should find the JSON.sublime-syntax there. Make sure it is utf-8 encoded and does not contain malformed JSON. You could try to remove it.

As it sometimes works and sometimes not, do you have any 3rd party packages installed?

I sometimes was faced with such kinds of errors if a plugin created a malformed config file or color scheme upon startup.

0 Likes

Thank you, found the file in
C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 3\Packages\User

this is the code and indeed this checker https://jsonlint.com/ says there’s an error. Any suggestion on how should I edit it?

Thanks!

// These settings override both User and Default settings for the JSON syntax
{

}

{
	"css_completions_scope": "source.scss - comment - variable - keyword.control - entity.other, source.sass - comment - variable - keyword.control - entity.other",
}
0 Likes

Ok… I just edited it like this and the checker says it’s fine now :slight_smile:

{
	"css_completions_scope": "source.scss - comment - variable - keyword.control - entity.other, source.sass - comment - variable - keyword.control - entity.other"
}
0 Likes

Just curious, why do you have css_completions_scope settings specifically for the JSON syntax?

0 Likes

Look, I have no idea what I am doing… I dont’ know anything about JSON :sweat_smile:

0 Likes