Sublime Forum

Error: bogus format in GIT_CONFIG_PARAMETERS

Hi,

I’m seeing a new (to me) error when I issue a commit in Sublime Merge and I’m trying to get to the bottom of it. The commit appears to succeed when I look at the git log, however Sublime Merge is left looking like this:

The full error message it is reporting:

Error: Failed to call git rev-parse --git-dir --show-toplevel: "error: bogus format in GIT_CONFIG_PARAMETERS\nfatal: unable to parse command-line config\n"
Error reading git config: Error running C:\Program Files\Git\mingw64\bin\git.exe 'config' '-l': 'error: bogus format in GIT_CONFIG_PARAMETERS
fatal: unable to parse command-line config' 'exit status 128'

If I hit the ‘x’ next to “Running git commit…” (because otherwise it stays like that indefinitely), then it returns my commit message, and appears to be in a bit of a weird state. I don’t see the commit in the log, but when I go to my command line and run a git status, then sublime merge seems to refresh and I see the commit.

I am able to commit and push from the command line just fine. I did have to recently jump through a ton of hoops to get git credential manager working on my PC, and this may have caused some sort of config issue. Here is my install info:

=== App Version Information ===
Build: 2074

=== Git Version Information ===
Using Git: C:\Program Files\Sublime Merge\Git\cmd\git.exe (bundled)
git version 2.35.3.windows.1
PATH: C:\Python310\Scripts\;C:\Python310\;C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-7.1.0-Q16-HDRI;C:\VulkanSDK\1.2.162.0\Bin;C:\VulkanSDK\1.2.154.1\Bin;C:\Python38\Scripts\;C:\Python38\;C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v10.2\bin;C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v10.2\libnvvp;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Libraries\redist\ia32\compiler;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Libraries\redist\intel64\compiler;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\Program Files (x86)\CMake\bin;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\130\Tools\Binn\;C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\.dnx\bin;C:\Program Files\Microsoft DNX\Dnvm\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;E:\msw\applications\Anaconda3;E:\msw\applications\Anaconda3\Scripts;E:\msw\applications\Anaconda3\Library\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\GtkSharp\2.12\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;E:\Dropbox\code\scripts;E:\Dropbox\code\scripts\msw;C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;C:\Program Files\Tundra 2.0\bin;C:\Program Files\Mercurial\;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\WINDOWS\System32\OpenSSH\;C:\Program Files\Amazon\AWSCLI\;C:\Program Files\Git\cmd;C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA NvDLISR;C:\ProgramData\chocolatey\bin;;C:\Program Files\LLVM\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Subversion\bin;C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\WINDOWS\System32\OpenSSH\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Windows Performance Toolkit\;C:\Program Files\Perforce\;C:\Program Files\nodejs\;C:\Program Files\CMake\bin;C:\Program Files\dotnet\;C:\Users\r\.cargo\bin;f:\code\graphics\g3d\g3d-svn\G3D10\build\bin;F:\msw\bin;C:\MinGW\bin;C:\Users\r\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;C:\Users\r\AppData\Local\Programs\Microsoft VS Code\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenVPN\bin;C:\Users\r\AppData\Roaming\npm;C:\Users\r\.dotnet\tools;C:\Users\r\AppData\Roaming\netlify\Config\helper\bin;C:\Users\r\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;C:\Users\r\.dotnet\tools;C:\Users\r\AppData\Local\GitHubDesktop\bin

=== Git Config Information ===
branch.issue-5.merge=refs/heads/issue-5
branch.issue-5.remote=origin
branch.main.merge=refs/heads/main
branch.main.remote=origin
branch.rte/character_stats_overlay.merge=refs/heads/rte/character_stats_overlay
branch.rte/character_stats_overlay.remote=origin
branch.rte/video-fixes-issue-5.merge=refs/heads/rte/video-fixes-issue-5
branch.rte/video-fixes-issue-5.remote=origin
branch.rte/video-ui.merge=refs/heads/rte/video-ui
branch.rte/video-ui.remote=origin
color.branch=auto
color.diff=auto
color.interactive=true
color.status=auto
core.autocrlf=true
core.bare=false
core.editor='C:/Program Files/sublime text 3/sublime_text.exe' -w
core.filemode=false
core.ignorecase=true
core.logallrefupdates=true
core.repositoryformatversion=0
core.symlinks=false
credential.helper=manager
diff.astextplain.textconv=astextplain
filter.lfs.clean=git-lfs clean -- %f
filter.lfs.process=git-lfs filter-process
filter.lfs.required=true
filter.lfs.smudge=git-lfs smudge -- %f
help.format=html
include.path=C:/Users/r/AppData/Roaming/netlify/Config/helper/git-config
lfs.https://github.com/xxx/xxx.git/info/lfs.access=basic
lfs.repositoryformatversion=0
pack.packsizelimit=2g
rebase.autosquash=true
remote.origin.fetch=+refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*
remote.origin.url=https://github.com/xxx/xxx
user.email=rich.eakin@gmail.com
user.name=Richard Eakin
winupdater.recentlyseenversion=2.30.2.windows.1

=== Our Config Information ===
Git Config Path Information
Using config path: /C/ProgramData/Git/config
Using config path: /C/Program Files/Sublime Merge/Git/etc/gitconfig
Using config path: /C/Users/r/.config/git/config
Using config path: /C/Users/r/.gitconfig
Using config path: /G/projects/xxx/xxx/.git/config

Our config output is different to the Git config output
branch.issue-5.merge=refs/heads/issue-5
branch.issue-5.remote=origin
branch.main.merge=refs/heads/main
branch.main.remote=origin
branch.rte/character_stats_overlay.merge=refs/heads/rte/character_stats_overlay
branch.rte/character_stats_overlay.remote=origin
branch.rte/video-fixes-issue-5.merge=refs/heads/rte/video-fixes-issue-5
branch.rte/video-fixes-issue-5.remote=origin
branch.rte/video-ui.merge=refs/heads/rte/video-ui
branch.rte/video-ui.remote=origin
color.branch=auto
color.diff=auto
color.interactive=true
color.status=auto
core.autocrlf=true
core.bare=false
core.editor='C:/Program Files/sublime text 3/sublime_text.exe' -w
core.filemode=false
core.fscache=true
core.ignorecase=true
core.logallrefupdates=true
core.repositoryformatversion=0
core.symlinks=false
credential.helper=manager
diff.astextplain.textconv=astextplain
filter.lfs.clean=git-lfs clean -- %f
filter.lfs.process=git-lfs filter-process
filter.lfs.required=true
filter.lfs.smudge=git-lfs smudge -- %f
help.format=html
include.path=C:/Users/r/AppData/Roaming/netlify/Config/helper/git-config
lfs.https://github.com/xxx/xxx.git/info/lfs.access=basic
lfs.repositoryformatversion=0
pack.packsizelimit=2g
rebase.autosquash=true
remote.origin.fetch=+refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*
remote.origin.url=https://github.com/xxx/xxx
user.email=XXX@gmail.com
user.name=XXX
winupdater.recentlyseenversion=2.30.2.windows.1

I hope the above is useful information, I can paste other parts of the debug output if needed.

Thanks for any help with this!

Best,
Richard

1 Like

I googled a little and ran across the links below. Based off of comments in those posts, it sounds like some kind of incompatibility between the bundled version of git in SM (debug data indicates bundled) and the installed version of LFS. Try switching Git Binary to System in Advanced preferences.

https://git-annex.branchable.com/forum/error__58___bogus_format_in_GIT__95__CONFIG__95__PARAMETERS

2 Likes

Ah great, your googling is better than mine! Switched to system for Git Binary System and it is working great now.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

2 Likes