Sublime Forum

Education Discount

Why are there no educational discount for Sublime Text 3? In reality I don’t see any students shelling out $70 for a text editor that does not enforce a license for continued use. Majority of private colleges never lack the funding in shelling out on software. Educational licensing would most certainly guarantee more revenue for the author.

1 Like

I bought it and i was student than. If you dont own the laughable 70$ for a professional tool, you can try notepad++ or notepad.exe!

1 Like

I did spend the $70 and I’ll spend another $70 when st 3 is out of beta. If I don’t have the $70 however, I will use it unregistered and that is what many students do when they are in debt.

1 Like

Let me see if i get this clear: you pay quite a lot of money for tuition (in Romania it costs at least $6-700/year; in US a public university, according to Wiki, costs almost 30k/year! ), but when it comes to $70 is suddently too much? :mrgreen:

Out of curiosity, what’s the model of your phone (brand/model) ?

1 Like

Problem solved i guess…

0 Likes

Wait… There is an educational discount, it’s ST allowing you to evaluate the product indefinitely. When you’ve graduated and have a full time job, grab yourself a license.

0 Likes

[quote=“Timbo”]

No.

Sublime Text may be downloaded and evaluated for free, however a license must be purchased for continued use.

For some definition of evaluation period and “continued use”, but certainly not indefinitely.[/quote]

Wait… There is an educational discount, it’s ST allowing you to evaluate the product indefinitely. When you’ve graduated and have a full time job, grab yourself a license.

[EDIT]

indefinitely |inˈdefənitlē|
for an unlimited or unspecified period of time

0 Likes

[quote=“Timbo”]

No, there is no discount and no, ST doesn’t allow what you claim:

Sublime Text may be downloaded and evaluated for free, however a license must be purchased for continued use.

For some definition of evaluation period and “continued use”, but certainly not indefinitely. It’s technically possible to continue using it, but that’s against the download terms.[/quote]

0 Likes

The point is there is no set time it just states continued use. It does not say that you can not evaluate no more than 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, 4 years, 2 decades. Hence the word choice indefinitely, because there is no set time. No mater how much you want to call me dumb, illogical, whatever, the fact is there is no set time and what I described is a purchase that was made for planned continued use. One moving out of college and continuing the use of the software in a professional setting.

0 Likes

Yes, I’m having a difficult time understanding how long is too long before it’s considered “continued use”, please do enlighten me on what that magical number is.

If I plan to evaluate this software while in college, then decide to continue usage into my professional career, I purchase a license. Am I breaking the rules of the evaluation…?

[Edit]

Yes I was being a bit sarcastic when stating “there is an educational discount” You are correct on that point, there isn’t, but the main point I’m trying to get across is that ST (to me at least) has one of the best usage policies a pay-for product can have for poor college kids. No specific time limit, no reduced functionality, just a popup to remind you that you need to purchase at some point.

0 Likes

[quote=“Timbo”]

Yes, I’m having a difficult time understanding how long is too long before it’s considered “continued use”, please do enlighten me on what that magical number is.

You seem to be the only one confused. Go back to the thinking box, you’ll figure it out.[/quote]

I took your suggestion, and well… I think I finally get it!

So… I can be a college student, plan to evaluate ST for the duration of my college career. If it fits my needs there and I continue to use it in my professional career where I’m making money by using the product I need to purchase it!

Sigh… was a tough one.

0 Likes

Guys, i think that’s enough trolling.

On a more serious note: education discount is not an option for sublime and i suppose that’s because on more reasons:

1. Jon doesn’t get any tax deduction out of this (don’t believe for a SECOND that Apple, Adobe or Microsoft have this kind of discounts out of their generosity!)
  2. Probably there was a estimation on Sublime HQ that proved that lower prices for students doesn’t necessary mean (much) higher revenue;
  3. Pricing based on some extra papers means … extra paper to handle: show your school ID, tuition bills or whatever. Don’t forget that ST is a one man show; you preffer a developer that focus on… development or on checking papers?
  4. One license is per user. That doesnt’ sound that big, but if you have 5 PC you work on you need only one license. Try this with visual studio!
    4.1) One license is cross platform. You are on Linux and Windows (or Windows and Mac)? You are good to go! Again, try this with Photoshop.
1 Like

[quote=“iamntz”]Guys, i think that’s enough trolling.

On a more serious note: education discount is not an option for sublime and i suppose that’s because on more reasons:

1. Jon doesn’t get any tax deduction out of this (don’t believe for a SECOND that Apple, Adobe or Microsoft have this kind of discounts out of their generosity!)
  2. Probably there was a estimation on Sublime HQ that proved that lower prices for students doesn’t necessary mean (much) higher revenue;
  3. Pricing based on some extra papers means … extra paper to handle: show your school ID, tuition bills or whatever. Don’t forget that ST is a one man show; you preffer a developer that focus on… development or on checking papers?
  4. One license is per user. That doesnt’ sound that big, but if you have 5 PC you work on you need only one license. Try this with visual studio!
    4.1) One license is cross platform. You are on Linux and Windows (or Windows and Mac)? You are good to go! Again, try this with Photoshop.[/quote]

thanks for the answer. I asked this in the first place because “Education Discounts” is listed a top on Sales FAQ as if the author himself cannot bear the thoughts that students are using his software.

In my wettest dream public institutions should order institutional license for their students? Some colleges in the states really charges a premium for the tuition

0 Likes

[quote=“Timbo”]

You seem to be the only one confused. Go back to the thinking box, you’ll figure it out.[/quote]

Do you have anything else to say?
You want a discount, there isn’t any, there won’t be.

0 Likes

My total cost of attendance for college (in the US) is $68,000/year. I have a single mother with very limited income so it’s not like I have wealthy parents paying for my education – it’s all scholarships I worked hard for, work-study, and loans. To students like me, it just seems incredibly unfair to be asked to pay the full value at this point in my life, and to say $70 is laughable is a bit insulting – that’s a lot of money for some people.

1 Like

It’s not a bit insulting, it’s insulting as fuck.

I live in Poland, I moved to different city for my IT studies. I paid 0 (zero) for tuition because education is free here (somehow). My entire monthly budget was around $275, $190 for a room and $85 for food and everything else. Yes you read that right. My entire family’s budget (me, parents and younger sister) was about $950, counting in a loan we had to take to pay for my studies and that I still need to pay off. So they had $675 monthly left to pay for their house, cars, food for 3 people and other expenses… How high is your 2+2 family budget guys? Would you pay 1/10th of it for Sublime?

If you think $70 is not much you are dead wrong. I would maybe pay $10 for a license at the time but that was all that was possible. I still can’t afford paying $70 just like that, even though I have a full time job now. I earn about $6/hr and it’s considered very high salary here, it’s more than 92% of Poland population.

It’s a completely ridiculous price for most of people who don’t live in US. But yeah I guess since we are not from the most important country in the world we don’t really count.

1 Like

Sorry to dig up such an old thread, but …

I still wish there was an education discount program - if not for college, then for younger students.

At my school, we spend a few classes a year on an HTML unit in 7th grade. We certainly can’t pay $80 for every kid to use a program for a few classes. But if you had an educational site license, or maybe a discount depending on the number of students, we would pay something. And I’m sure many other schools would do the same.

(As it is, you may get some benefit from our students using your software, because some of them will probably grow up to become coders and will pay for tools like this. But you would get a lot more benefit if you would let us pay you a nominal sum per student, multiplied by a large number of students. And we would feel good paying for the software if it was affordable. $80 for a few classes is simply not a reasonable price for us.)

0 Likes

There are many free HTML editors, for instance, this one,
Grade 7 students don’t need a professional editor.
When they need one, then they should be able to afford one.
I doubt very much if there will ever be a discount for Sublime Text which is priced reasonably.
That is why I can’t understand why people keep bringing it up.

0 Likes

Yes. Sublime is much more expensive than VS code and Atom. The margin is 70$. But, unfortunately, it is NOT that better than VS code and Atom. I think it is more reasonable to cost, like 10$ or 20$.

0 Likes

Is the value of Sublime text comparable to the University education or a cell phone? It is just a editor and there are free alternatives, which means that the price of Sublime text should only be the value of its advance compared to VS code, Atom, Notepad++, etc… Thus, I think your statements should be updated. In 2014, sublime text is like the king. No one can beat it. But now…

0 Likes