Sublime Forum

Documentation, Browse Packages etc. not working (kubuntu)

I’m trying to use ST 2 on kubuntu 12.04, but several menus aren’t working. This seems to be the ones that try to open something in a browser:

]Documentation/]
]Twitter/]
]Purchase License/]
]Browse Packages/]

If I open a html file and try ‘open in browser’ it will open the page, however in firefox and not my default browser which is chrome :S

I’ve tried the following in console, if it’s any help:

>>> import webbrowser
>>> webbrowser.open_new_tab('google.com')
True
>>> webbrowser.get()
<webbrowser.Mozilla object at 0x1a67990>
0 Likes

If it’s any help, this is how you would open a site in the correct browser on ubuntu from cmd line:

/etc/alternatives/x-www-browser "google.com"
0 Likes

FWIW: I tried dev build 2220, but still same behavior. Also I’m on 64-bit if that makes any difference.

0 Likes

Hi!!! The same issue happen in my new kubuntu 12.04 installation. In ubuntu 12.04 it work fine!

0 Likes

I found this on SO which likely explains it: stackoverflow.com/questions/1559 … n-in-linux

Apparently xdg-open is the way to go today, at least that works fine for me when testing in terminal :smile:

0 Likes

What about the “Browse Package” menu item? What previous posters covered, identifies the problem of the “open url” commands, but the Browse Browser is still dead. I use Linux Mint KDE 14 (so I guess, this problem is related to the KDE file browser) and when I press “Browse Packages” nothing happens.

0 Likes

The menu items use the gtk_show_uri API call to show your browser, so presumably some GTK configuration is missing.

1 Like

Sorry for the necromancy. Just wanted to provide an actual solution for KDE users.

Gnome/GTK default applications can be set using gvfs-mime. E.g.

gvfs-mime --set x-scheme-handler/http google-chrome.desktop
gvfs-mime --set x-scheme-handler/https google-chrome.desktop
gvfs-mime --set inode/directory org.kde.dolphin.desktop

The configuration is usually stored in ~/.config/mimeapps.list on modern systems.

In theory those should be set by KDE system settings (file associations or default applications) but it seems broken in some versions at least.

3 Likes