Sublime Forum

Disappointing features

So, I use Sublime for MacOS… it is extremely disappointing. I dont understand how this even got through QA - so I am guessing I am missing something or dont have the latest features… I have Sublime Text 3.1.1

“Rename” is a commandline-like prompt, but it doesn’t necessary take focus. So you have to make use the mouse, from time to time, when renaming.

“Reveal in Finder” only works on files. Why ? What is the logic behind this?

There is no drag and drop files in the “Open Files” sidebar - you have to rename every single file you want to move.

There is no way to multi-rename files.

The package-thing is … it just seems… why is it so complicated to start up the package installer ? Is it hidden away in obscure written commands, to induce some kind of retro-feel ?

Are these things above all something i have to find extensions for ? Are these thing by design ? Im used to feature rich editors like Atom, Coda, Ultraedit (on Windows), Notepad++ etc - but everyone recommended me Sublime Text. A lot of toolchains even have support for Sublime Text. I just dont understand why anyone would use it,

Please help me understand. I really want to “see the light”.

0 Likes

Yes it is quite “old-schoolish” in terms of configuration/use.
I spend few days (not entire days) just to configure everything what I need/used to.

The biggest disappointment is that it doesn’t have tabs switcher popup on ctrl+tab like N++ & PhpStorm have OOTB… and as I understand it isn’t even possible to setup it with plugins because of API limitations…

Other than that, when you set it up, it is quite lightweight, fast and flexible editor.
Might have some features that other don’t have, but I am new myself, can’t tell you right now.

0 Likes

so I would say, for big projects it might not be useful enough but for small projects and/or educational stuff - quite good tool.

I recommend Notepad++ theme, BracketsHightlighter & Local History plugins. Also some configuration for key bindings - remove line on ctrl+delete, duplicate ctrl+d etc

0 Likes

btw if you want to see how my sublime looks after customization:

0 Likes

Thanks for the reply. How about files-renaming / moving - are there any plugins that fix that gabbing feature-hole ? Surely being able to move files around is important for development… :slight_smile:

0 Likes

The most popular plugin to add such functions is SideBarEnancements. I personally find it too bloated and prefer FileManager. Both can’t provide drag&drop but renaming/deleting/moving/duplicating is available via sidebar menu and command palette then.

0 Likes

Sublime Text itself is really bare bones. The functionality you mention is indeed really limited and you could consider it just a reference implementation, or suggestions for what the API can do. The package manager was, until recently, also a third party / community package.

For managing and moving files, try SidebarTools. It’s a simple, no-configuration extension to do things like moving and renaming. As you can see, everyone has their own favorites here, and that’s the point.

1 Like

Are you by chance initiating the rename by Ctrl-Clicking? I logged a macOS-specific bug about this: https://github.com/SublimeTextIssues/Core/issues/883

0 Likes